Recognition of same-sex couples Watch

Poll: Recognition of same-sex couples
Gay marriage should be legalized in the interest of equality (62)
40.79%
I support the status quo (marriage for hetero couples, and civil partnerships for gay couples) (47)
30.92%
Civil partnerships should be extended to hetero couples, and the State should not deploy the word 'marriage' in civil, legal contexts (36)
23.68%
Not sure (7)
4.61%
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
At the moment, heterosexual couples are offered marriage and homosexual couples civil partnerships by the State. Do you support the current status quo, or should same-sex couples also be offered marriage? Or perhaps opposite-sex couples ought to be offered civil partnerships?

Vote and discuss.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I could have sworn that heterosexual couples can have civil partnerships, but Google says no...
Rep:
?
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
I'm almost certain that heterosexual couples can have civil partnerships...
I was not aware of that, but thanks for informing me. Either way, the third poll option still stands in so far as whether the State should play a role in marriage.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
I was not aware of that, but thanks for informing me. Either way, the third poll option still stands in so far as whether the State should play a role in marriage.
Hmmm... I thought they could, but from looking it up it seems that civil partnerships are reserved for same sex couples only..
KatieLouise08
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
You're missing the option in the poll that says no to civil partner ships.
I don't think we should acknowledge same sex couples in a 'marriage' or civil partnership resembling marriage. Its not what it should be about
Rep:
?
(Original post by KatieLouise08)
I don't think we should acknowledge same sex couples in a 'marriage' or civil partnership resembling marriage. Its not what it should be about
I thought there would be some people out there who are completely against any form of recognition for same-sex couples, as I'm sure there are people who are against the right of women to vote, but I thought such people would be a small minority.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If civil partnerships are secular i.e. have nothing to do with religion whatsoever, why should homosexual couples be excluded from that? Other than the comittment aspect, it gives them the same sense of financial security that married couples enjoy without actually making any kind of religious vow, so what is the problem?
installedpear
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think we should acknowledge same sex couples in a 'marriage' or civil partnership resembling marriage.

Civil Partnership isn't a 'wannabe marriage' although many people choose to turn it into a big party.... Civil Partnership is a legal process, that means the rights of a couple are respected as the rights of a hetereosexual couple.

Without Civil Partnership, a long term boyfriend cannot be considered next of kin.

Marriage is a religious sacrament, and represents a lot more than just the coming together of two people.... Hence why I don't really believe in gay marriage...
BUT.
Civil Partnership means that the rights of a significant other are respected - which I think is so important.
KatieLouise08
Report 11 years ago
well, I am not discriminatory or anything I just don't agree that same sex couples should be able to get married. I am a Christian and don't believe it is right. Marriage goes back for centuries and is something pure and special. I think it should be kept that way
vixky!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with civil partnerships, but not marriage for same sex couples.

I may be wrong but marriage originated in religion/the Bible/Christianity sooo I don't see why a gay couple would want to marry into that, an institution that condemns them.

However, I agree whole-heartedly with recognition for same sex couples and believe they should be entitled to the same rights as a heterosexual married couple.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well, I am not discriminatory or anything I just don't agree that same sex couples should be able to get married. I am a Christian and don't believe it is right. Marriage goes back for centuries and is something pure and special. I think it should be kept that way
Civil partnerships aren't marriage though! It's just signing your name on the dotted line for tax purposes, and to be able to declare a next of kin etc.
KatieLouise08
Report 11 years ago
[/QUOTE]
Marriage is a religious sacrament, and represents a lot more than just the coming together of two people.... Hence why I don't really believe in gay marriage...
BUT.
Civil Partnership means that the rights of a significant other are respected - which I think is so important.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with your first statement about marriage, but I also think that civil partnership may soon be favored above marriage and it is replacing marriage for same sex couples, this is sort of disregarding the fact that they cant get married but giving them an alternative.
KatieLouise08
Report 11 years ago
But it is very similar, marriage is recognizing two people becoming one together. Civil partnership is very similar in this but maybe more legal grounded. But its still the same basic principle
vaseand
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Why cant it be pure and special for two people of the same sex? Because it isnt right 'in gods eye'? If i get married i fully plan for it to be secular because i just dont believe in it and religion doesnt have a monopoly over marriage.
joker_900
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
1. Civil partnership is not marriage.

2. Something being old doesn't mean anything.

3. Marriage has already been changed and diluted, or do you believe atheists have no right to be married?
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I completely agree with your first statement about marriage, but I also think that civil partnership may soon be favored above marriage and it is replacing marriage for same sex couples, this is sort of disregarding the fact that they cant get married but giving them an alternative.
How can you favour civil partnerships over marriage. If you're in a heterosexual relationship, you have to get married, and if you're in a homosexual relationship you have to get a civil partnership if you want your relationship to be legally binding.

See here for the differences between the two:
http://www.civilpartnerships.org.uk/...ipsGeneral.htm
KatieLouise08
Report 11 years ago
Marriage came from God and is mainly a religious thing, Marriage is recognized by the church, however same sex couples aren't so how can they go together? These couples are not right by the church so therefore in God's eyes.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Marriage came from God and is mainly a religious thing, Marriage is recognized by the church, however same sex couples aren't so how can they go together? These couples are not right by the church so therefore in God's eyes.
I've said this about three times; civil partnerships are not the same as marriage, because they have no religious meaning and aren't recognised by the church! You're actually not allowed to have a religious ceremony when you have a civil partnership.
Tinkerbee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Civil partnerships- yes
Gay marriage- nooo
KatieLouise08
Report 11 years ago
You don't have to get married, what I meant was that statistics show nowadays that people are preferring not to get married, some people may choose to have a civil partnership because it is easier or they are not religious
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads