Recognition of same-sex couples Watch

Poll: Recognition of same-sex couples
Gay marriage should be legalized in the interest of equality (62)
40.79%
I support the status quo (marriage for hetero couples, and civil partnerships for gay couples) (47)
30.92%
Civil partnerships should be extended to hetero couples, and the State should not deploy the word 'marriage' in civil, legal contexts (36)
23.68%
Not sure (7)
4.61%
CommunistHamster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
Well actually I think you'll find that if you had gone back even just ten years, the story would be much different and the most people would hold my dont ask dont tell view.
I think if you go back 100 years, people will hold the view that indigenous people and other nig-nogs are inferior and we should be allowed to use jacketed hollow/soft point bullets on them because they are uncivilised barbarians.

Luckily, attitudes change to a more tolerant position over time.

"Nig-nogs" used to illustrate previous views of society. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CommunistHamster)
I think if you go back 100 years, people will hold the view that indigenous people and other nig-nogs are inferior and we should be allowed to use jacketed hollow/soft point bullets on them because they are uncivilised barbarians.

Luckily, attitudes change to a more tolerant position over time.

"Nig-nogs" used to illustrate previous views of society. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
Erm well actually what you said has no weight at all because whereas over 100 years, generations of people have changed, there has been little change in the people here in ten years (I was certainly alive as many of you and your parents were, and I'm still alive). Thus the situation represents a shift in the views of the individual rather than a new generation introducing an alternative train of thought as is normally the case.
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by K.T.)
Firstly, I would thank you not to make assertions about what 'most people' think, unless you have some evidence to back your claim up.

Secondly, you seem to think the government 'forced people' to be accepting of homosexual people using propaganda. What would the motivation for this exactly? The only evidence I could find that would correlate with this claim would be the repelling of Clause 28. Is that it?

As to Clause 28, full text:
“2A - Prohibition on promoting homosexuality by teaching or by publishing material (1) A local authority shall not—
(a) intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality;
(b) promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship."

So yes, the acceptability of homosexuality can now be promoted. If you want to drag our society back to a time when we are intolerant of people who 'deviate' from the norm in some way, then that's your choice. Luckily, judging by the poll results, you're in a very small minority.
well judging by the poll theres no alternative option for people to vote for, so what did you expect...? I havent voted. Promotion....thank god I go to a highly conservative school.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thank god I go to a highly conservative school.
Why?

Don't you like to think for yourself rather than having some other persons morality imposed upon yourself?
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"IM NOT A RACIST I JUST THINK ALL BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD LIVE IN CAGES".

ITT: Homophobes desperately trying to rationalise their biggotry
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
Why?

Don't you like to think for yourself rather than having some other persons morality imposed upon yourself?
well morality comes with life experience and how you were brought up. Otherwise every single person would have largely varying and random views, but as many of you have already ascertained, society has shifted together. I was brought up in quite a traditional household (im half indian and moderately religious if that helps), so being conservative is just my natural moral thought.
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well morality comes with life experience and how you were brought up. Otherwise every single person would have largely varying and random views, but as many of you have already ascertained, society has shifted together. I was brought up in quite a traditional household (im half indian and moderately religious if that helps), so being conservative is just my natural moral thought.
You must be fairly young and have bigotted parents then.

Also can we stop using the word 'conservative' as a coverup for 'bigotted', 'prejudiced' or 'ignorant' please.
profseverus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NeverMindThat)
You must be fairly young and have bigotted parents then.

Also can we stop using the word 'conservative' as a coverup for 'bigotted', 'prejudiced' or 'ignorant' please.
I agree. Conservative people can be accepting, unlike prejudiced people. It's about time homophobes, racists etc. stop hiding behind "conservatism"
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This argument is stupid. No one is debating whether or not gay people can get married, they are debating whether they are allowed to use the word marriage for it. I don't see why organised religions have the right tell other people what they are and are not allowed to call marriage. Not only does the concept predate christianity, the origin of the word probably does (it comes from a latin word so it's fairly likely).

Maybe the best way to end this silly debate is option 3. Personally I'd go even further and remove all references to religion (or at least specific religions) from all legal documents and legislation. The way I see it, a religion that is followed by one person is just as valid as a religion that is followed by a billion people, so why should it get any less legal recognition? Clearly there's no way to recognise all the possible religious so none should be. Note that I'm talking about the law only, not all government policies.
shakerbaby
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Religions talking about the "sanctity" and "purity" of marriage as arguments against allowing same sex couples to do it is just a cover for homophobia.

If they want to stick to the words of the Bible, although i'm pretty sure marriage wasn't invented by God, then all heterosexual couples who have sex before marriage or marry multiple times shouldn't be allowed to either, as that defies its sanctity. Hell, even atheists are allowed to marry in a church, and partake in this religious ceremony, so why not same sex couples?

Christianity makes such a disproportionate fuss over homosexuality
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I was brought up by fairly "conservative", Christian parents in a "traditional" family and I'm gay, so don't use that as an excuse please - we all have our own minds and are perfectly free to develop are own opinions

1. Homosexuals represent a noticeable amount of the electorate, and have tended to vote against the Tories. To keep it this way, Labour has had to appease them and keep this vote (an intelligent tactic I must add).
And I'd thank you not to group all homosexuals together. I am not defined by the people I am attracted to, thank you very much
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did not vote as you did not have an option to ban homosexual civil partnerships.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goddess Fury)
I did not vote as you did not have an option to ban homosexual civil partnerships.
As I and others have said, such an option was not included because it's a marginal view. I'm sure there are people who don't think women should have the right to vote, but such views are marginal and should not be given recognition.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
As I and others have said, such an option was not included because it's a marginal view. I'm sure there are people who don't think women should have the right to vote, but such views are marginal and should not be given recognition.
Besides, it's your thread and you can do what you want with it.
Rep:
?
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
Besides, it's your thread and you can do what you want with it.
That was my back-up point lol. If she is so keen on waging a war on equal rights and liberty, she should initiate her own thread.
DamnitJanet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I support gay civil partnerships. There's no need, really, for gay marriage- civil partnerships give the same rights and recognition, and calling it a marriage is only going to piss off a lot of religious people who think that "marriage is sacred" etc.
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
You think it's such a marginal view??? How marginal?How many millions of Religious people in Britain oppose it?? A hell of a lot more than people who think women should not have the vote.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You think it's such a marginal view??? How marginal?How many millions of Religious people in Britain oppose it?? A hell of a lot more than people who think women should not have the vote.
Yes, it's possible that there are millions of religious people who oppose it, however this is a poll on a student website, where it is doubtful that a large percentage of people would vote no.
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Howells)
Yes, it's possible that there are millions of religious people who oppose it, however this is a poll on a student website, where it is doubtful that a large percentage of people would vote no.
20% Of people on this forum who voted in the "would you vote BNP" have said yes, you would not expect that on a student forum either.
Rep:
?
It's a marginal view here on TSR, and a constantly decreasing minority view among the general public.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads