Recognition of same-sex couples Watch

Poll: Recognition of same-sex couples
Gay marriage should be legalized in the interest of equality (62)
40.79%
I support the status quo (marriage for hetero couples, and civil partnerships for gay couples) (47)
30.92%
Civil partnerships should be extended to hetero couples, and the State should not deploy the word 'marriage' in civil, legal contexts (36)
23.68%
Not sure (7)
4.61%
Solid_Snake_100
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ Reluctance to accept defeat isnt a good thing. While admittedly people have different views and I dont really care what other people think and realise that the majority have shifted views, that by is by no means a sign that I should. I have wasted enough time on here bickering with your Schizophrenic debating style, Im sure there are other controversial topics for me to direct my fire, so good day.
missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
^ Reluctance to accept defeat isnt a good thing. While admittedly people have different views and I dont really care what other people think and realise that the majority have shifted views, that by is by no means a sign that I should. I have wasted enough time on here bickering with your Schizophrenic debating style, Im sure there are other controversial topics for me to direct my fire, so good day.
2026's argument is much more cogent, clear and intelligent than yours which to be honest doesn't really make much sense.

Anyway I voted marriage for gay people; there's an important distinction between a religious marriage and a secular one, and gay people certainly should be allowed secular marriages.
CommunistHamster
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
We are talking about racism now. Are you incapable of keeping a conversation to one topic???
Discrimination against races = discrimination against sexualities = discrimination against genders = Discrimination.
tekp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, no, no!

Marriage is not a religious ceremony; it is a formal union which can be established through a religious ceremony but often isn't.

People get married through a secular (non-religious) ceremony at a registry office (and elsewhere) regularly.

For those interested in the history, the Church only got involved in marriage ceremonies in Europe in the Sixteenth century.
Really?! :| I *so* didn't know that! I stand corrected that's interesting..
tekp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Would you support a priest that didn't want to wed a black person with a white person?
I wouldn't support it.. I'm not saying I share the same opinion, I'm just saying you can't expect people to respect your opinion if you don't respect theirs.. if it's against a priest's beliefs to wed them then you can't force him to..
NeverMindThat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you respect the views of nazis too?
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tekp)
I wouldn't support it.. I'm not saying I share the same opinion, I'm just saying you can't expect people to respect your opinion if you don't respect theirs.. if it's against a priest's beliefs to wed them then you can't force him to..
Some opinions aren't worth respecting.
NeverMindThat
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am so fed up of this 'respect their opinion' ********. People seem to think this little mantra always holds true. Get a ****ing grip. You should NOT tolerate opinions that are against the fundamental moral principles of society.
tekp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Some opinions aren't worth respecting.
Yeah, and that's your opinion.

These 'fundamental moral principles of society' are all culturally relative.. one thing that we deem as unacceptable here may be perfectly acceptable somewhere else in the world. That is such a typical western attitude people have different opinions and always will do, deal with it.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
These 'fundamental moral principles of society' are all culturally relative.. one thing that we deem as unacceptable here may be perfectly acceptable somewhere else in the world. That is such a typical western attitude people have different opinions and always will do, deal with it.
There are certain things that are not culturally relative. We are all people, at the end of the day.
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tekp)

Of course there are different cultural attitudes (and different opinions even within cultural contexts) but it doesn't make them all equally well defended from a reasoned and critical perspective. You're asking me to 'deal with' the presence of opinions other than my own yet criticising my opinion that some views aren't worthy of respect. Can't you just 'deal with' what I say too?
nugax
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
There are certain things that are not culturally relative. We are all people, at the end of the day.
You see, the problem cultural relativism brings forward is not that there might be certain omnipresent human values, but rather that there aren't any culturally objective criteria with which to evaluate those cultural values, and thus it is impossible to tell which ones are and which ones are not. It is, however, the responsibility of the authorities not to be led by their cultural instincts.

If a priest sees it as culturally unacceptable to marry me, I'm perfectly happy with that. If a government official refuses to marry me because he deems it as culturally unacceptable, I'd sue him to smithereens.

It's the responsibility of every government not to discriminate on any basis, and thus the responsibility of its employees. I'm all for renaming marriage to 'civil partnerships' for both straight and gay couples, as perpetuating a christian tradition in a secular system is nuts in any case. After this civil and legal ceremony, christians can have their religious ceremony and call it 'marriage', the muslims can gather round and celebrate their زواج and secularism has saved the day. Equality, plain and simple.

On a related note, Dutch town councils are now kicking government employees out who refuse to marry homosexual couples for the same reasons as outlined above.
NeverMindThat
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tekp)

Omg not this old chestnut again. WHAT IS YOUR POINT? We live in a WESTERN society and therefore who cares what is culturally acceptable elsewhere; we dont need to accept it here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads