I just graduated with a Bachelors but now what? Watch

I-Love-Music
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I just graduated with a BA in Music Industry Management at the University of Hertfordshire. I obtained an upper second class, but now I'm stuck in getting a job. I'm sure some people get confused and lost right after they have graduated with their Bachelors, but it's worrying me now. I've applied to numerous jobs but I don't even get accepted to the interview stage. I've had a 1 to 1 session with a faculty member at the university to help me with my CV, but I think its more of the work experience which I lack. Now I'm seriously considering a Masters degree but I don't know what to do it in. I want to do a conversion course, maybe something related to Psychology but I read many forums stating that I must do a PHD, and by then it'll still be competitive to obtain a job. Now I feel like any masters programme is useless. Life after university is hell, any advice would be truly appreciated, thanks.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well first off I know how hard it can be as I have been there myself.

I would say, start volunteering in something your interested in look on do-it.org. that gets you experience and most crucially references you can put on your cv. Only have to do one day a week and its enjoyable if you enjoy it, e.g. something musical.

Sign on to the dole - if you don't you're missing out on money that you're entitled too and more crucially you're missing out on national insurance credits which go towards paying your pension.

Don't do a masters to avoid getting a job, it's not free - you'll have to pay it off eventually. I'm from the psychology field and jobs are very rare in that field so that will not be a quick avenue to employment either.

Ask around your mates/family is anyone taking on or could you work for them if they have a business.

Apply for jobs that are entry-level, like factory work/warehousing. You may think they may be 'below' you but they are great for getting your first step in the ladder. You only have to work there 6 months or so and you can move on if you don't like it.

Join job agencies e.g. adecco/pmp most entry level jobs go through these and they usually don't even ask for references - I got my first job this way eith no experience with Amazon - great pay too and proved I could hold down a job.
Last edited by JamesManc; 1 week ago
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by I-Love-Music)
So I just graduated with a BA in Music Industry Management at the University of Hertfordshire. I obtained an upper second class, but now I'm stuck in getting a job. I'm sure some people get confused and lost right after they have graduated with their Bachelors, but it's worrying me now. I've applied to numerous jobs but I don't even get accepted to the interview stage. I've had a 1 to 1 session with a faculty member at the university to help me with my CV, but I think its more of the work experience which I lack. Now I'm seriously considering a Masters degree but I don't know what to do it in. I want to do a conversion course, maybe something related to Psychology but I read many forums stating that I must do a PHD, and by then it'll still be competitive to obtain a job. Now I feel like any masters programme is useless. Life after university is hell, any advice would be truly appreciated, thanks.
The months following graduation can be daunting, you're certainly not alone in feeling that way.

Have you had a chat with the people at CareersHub? As well as the usual CV/Cover Letter appointments, you are able to book appointments with advisers to discuss your career or further study options. When I was finding my placements, they were always very helpful. CareersHub will be there to help you for 3 years after your degree end date. Also have you emailed your subject staff for advice about getting into the Music Industry? Many lecturers will have worked in the industry prior to joining Herts so may be able to provide you with some insider knowledge. They may also be able to offer advice on what you can do to become more attractive to employers.

If you have decided you want to get a job then ,as @JamesManc mentions, volunteering would certainly help. If you are considering the Masters route then I would suggest trying to go to some Postgraduate open days, just to get more of a feel for specific courses and find out if that is an option you want to take. You should only do a Masters if that is something you are really interested and motivated in. If you are considering going into Psychology, why not contact a staff member from the School of Life and Medical Sciences to ask about your options in that area.

Finding the perfect job will take time. It took me many months just to find a 1 year placement, I would imagine finding a Graduate job could take a lot longer. Its a matter of being patient and making plenty of applications. Rejections can be disheartening but you should try not to let that hold you back from applying to the next job. In the meantime you could try to find yourself a part time job (in a supermarket, restaurant, shop, etc) so you can keep earning whilst you search for a graduate job. This will give you further experience which, although it may not be related to the music industry, will give you more experience in the working world.

I hope that helps a bit, and wish you the best of luck in your job search!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%