How to afford uni (especially student accommodation)? Watch

rina42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I'll be getting the maximum maintenance loan for uni next year and want to go to uni in the bigger cities, especially London.

I've roughly worked out the extra amount I'm going to need per week and I would need about £100 at least since even basic student accommodation is so expensive and there's no way my family could help me out financially in the first few weeks whilst I'll be looking for a part-time job.

Do you guys have any tips on how to budget or whether there's any extra financial funding I would be eligible for since every type of bursary/grant etc seems like it's hard to obtain even for low income families. ?
Random_Student
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some unis do give out bursaries so when student finance gave you an open for them o share our details with the uni you have applied for, click yes for that so that the uni can determine whether you need a bursary or not. Also, maybe start applying for part-time jobs early so that by the one you start, you’re ready to start working not even a few days or weeks before that. That’s the most advice I have. Hope that helps. I know it sucks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Aaryra
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As above, quite a few unis offer bursaries for low-income families (generally under 42 grand). Probably won't be enough, but why not start working now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (137)
13.44%
Excited (93)
9.13%
Worried (192)
18.84%
Terrified (232)
22.77%
Meh (78)
7.65%
Confused (28)
2.75%