Any Smartphone suggestion? Watch

Mr. Petrol Head
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
As the 3rd quarter has begun and most of the phones have released by now except the upcoming iPhone 11 and Huawei Mate 30 series, I am planing to buy a new smartphone after saving up for a year now since my old phone died on me. Any suggestions that you guys could add?
I have been recommended OnePlus 7 pro 12gb ram 256gb alot? are there other phone too that I can look into too?
Should I wait for Christmas sales as I am not in a hurry
Last edited by Mr. Petrol Head; 4 days ago
MiaNova
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Google pixel 💯
BEST camera on the market at the moment.
Decent battery life.
Nice size too.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
iPhone XS Max 256 gigabytes
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I have always had iPhones but I just bought a Samsung s8 - 2 years old now but still a great phone. Could get s9 as a more modern version, I did consider Huawei too but thought this was best.
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiaNova)
Google pixel 💯
BEST camera on the market at the moment.
Decent battery life.
Nice size too.
It's my favourite phone, how come I forgot about that! BTW Pixel 4 is upcoming this Fall season too I hope it doesn't come with a horrible notch design again!
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
iPhone XS Max 256 gigabytes
iPhone 11 is near the corner now. XS Max still sells for 1100 Quids, might have to wait before iPhone 11 releases this september
MiaNova
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
It's my favourite phone, how come I forgot about that! BTW Pixel 4 is upcoming this Fall season too I hope it doesn't come with a horrible notch design again!
Mine too! :five:
I know
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesManc)
I have always had iPhones but I just bought a Samsung s8 - 2 years old now but still a great phone. Could get s9 as a more modern version, I did consider Huawei too but thought this was best.
I have heard some good things about samsung s9 phones, I might look into them too Cheers bro
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiaNova)
Mine too! :five:
I know
I love stock android. Have you tried Google pixel series phones?
Last edited by Mr. Petrol Head; 4 days ago
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
As the 3rd quarter has begun and most of the phones have released by now except the upcoming iPhone 11 and Huawei Mate 30 series, I am planing to buy a new smartphone after saving up for a year now since my old phone died on me. Any suggestions that you guys could add?
I have been recommended OnePlus 7 pro 12gb ram 256gb alot? are there other phone too that I can look into too?
Should I wait for Christmas sales as I am not in a hurry
You've also got the upcoming Pixels that are well worth considering.

As for currently released recommendations, you can check my buyer's guide. I need to add Huawei's phones back in (the P30 Pro and Mate 20 Pro are among my top choices for regular flagships, the Honor 8X and Honour Play are top recommendations for budget phones, the P30 Pro is my #1 camera phone recommendation, and the Mate 20 X is the best large screen phone on the market) but besides that it's mostly up to date.
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
You've also got the upcoming Pixels that are well worth considering.

As for currently released recommendations, you can check my buyer's guide. I need to add Huawei's phones back in (the P30 Pro and Mate 20 Pro are among my top choices for regular flagships, the Honor 8X and Honour Play are top recommendations for budget phones, the P30 Pro is my #1 camera phone recommendation, and the Mate 20 X is the best large screen phone on the market) but besides that it's mostly up to date.
I really fancy those Pixel series of phones. But they tend to be very pricey for the specifications they come in. Man, I love that crazy 50x digital AI zoom on the P30 pro! Its also a battery beast! I have short listed that phone for now
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I really fancy those Pixel series of phones. But they tend to be very pricey for the specifications they come in. Man, I love that crazy 50x digital AI zoom on the P30 pro! Its also a battery beast! I have short listed that phone for now
It's a good time to buy Huawei's current generation flagships, prices took a big hit after Trump temporarily banned US companies from working them and a couple of months after being reinstated prices have climbed a bit but remained lower than they would have been if they had just depreciated naturally. The Mate 20 Pro is an especially good buy right now and actually arguably the better phone over the P30 Pro outside of it's crazy camera system, you can find it for under £500 now which is nuts.
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
It's a good time to buy Huawei's current generation flagships, prices took a big hit after Trump temporarily banned US companies from working them and a couple of months after being reinstated prices have climbed a bit but remained lower than they would have been if they had just depreciated naturally. The Mate 20 Pro is an especially good buy right now and actually arguably the better phone over the P30 Pro outside of it's crazy camera system, you can find it for under £500 now which is nuts.
I guess trump ban is a win win situation for us buyers now Both have kirin 980 processor, and 500 quids is just hilariously nuts compared with p30 pros's 800 price :lol:
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
I am really falling for the oneplus 7 pro :love:
znedd1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I have a Zenfone 6. It has a few key advantages over the Oneplus:

• Cheaper (I bought mine for about £420)
  • Same processor, main camera sensor
  • Bigger battery (5000 Mah compared to 4000 Mah)
  • Headphone Jack
  • Expandable storage via Micro-SD
  • Flippy camera (Means amazing selfies, and wide angle on the front camera)
Also a few disadvantages:
  • LCD screen (Not a massive deal, but some people prefer AMOLED)
  • No telephoto lens
  • Screen is 60Hz, not 90Hz
  • No form of waterproofing
  • Hard to get hold of in UK (I had to import mine)

Hope this gives you another perspective.

I should also add that RAM is not a massive deal in phones. After about 6GB, there are really no use-cases where more RAM is an advantage. You could save money by going for a variant with less RAM.
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
(Original post by znedd1)
I have a Zenfone 6. It has a few key advantages over the Oneplus:

• Cheaper (I bought mine for about £420)
  • Same processor, main camera sensor
  • Bigger battery (5000 Mah compared to 4000 Mah)
  • Headphone Jack
  • Expandable storage via Micro-SD
  • Flippy camera (Means amazing selfies, and wide angle on the front camera)
Also a few disadvantages:
  • LCD screen (Not a massive deal, but some people prefer AMOLED)
  • No telephoto lens
  • Screen is 60Hz, not 90Hz
  • No form of waterproofing
  • Hard to get hold of in UK (I had to import mine)

Hope this gives you another perspective.

I should also add that RAM is not a massive deal in phones. After about 6GB, there are really no use-cases where more RAM is an advantage. You could save money by going for a variant with less RAM.
Asus makes killer phones man. The new ROG phone 2 is even cheaper now with 120hz amoled and 6000mah battery!! I will definitely look into both of them
williamho
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
i would like to suggest, try out the phones first. And then see which one is more suitable for your use.

You might be surprise how Huawei has improved over the years. Especially the P30 Pro
And the performance gets better and faster over the years. Unlike some other phones.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
There's the Xiaomi Mi 9

Flagship specs while costing what flagships used to cost a few years ago. The 128GB model will set you back about £450

The usual specs

Spoiler:
Show
  • Snapdragon 855
  • Adreno 640
  • 6GB of RAM (plenty for a phone)
  • 64 or 128GB of storage (considering the relatively low cost compared to other flagships, you may as well jump on the 128 imho)
  • 6.39 AMOLED display (teardrop notch)
  • Triple rear camera (48mp primary, 12MP telephoto and a 16MP ultrawide, scored very highly over on DxOMark)
  • Support for 4k video recording and 960 FPS 1080p slow motion
  • 20 MP front camera
  • 3300mAh battery (while a comparatively low number on today's market, the Mi 9 isn't exactly chewing through that battery and should have little issue lasting you for the day)
  • UBS C
  • Supports QC 4+ (27W fast charging through the USB-PD specification, was industry-leading at the time of release but is every so slightly behind now. Do be aware it only ships with a QC3 (18W) charger though)
  • 20W wireless charging (an industry first and, as far as I'm aware, still industry-leading feature)
  • True dual sim (the dual sim tray doesn't double up as a Micro SD slot as it does in most other phones, primarily because the Mi 9 doesn't natively support Micro SD, though personally, given the storage options, it's a moot point in my book)
  • No headphone jack, if that's the sort of thing that matters to you
  • All the other usual features (NFC, Fingerprint scanner, etc...)
Last edited by TheMcSame; 3 days ago
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
So guys, I just bought the new OnePlus 7 8gb ram and 256gb storage
Thanks for your opinions and recommendations 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (85)
18.05%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (301)
63.91%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.88%
Not yet but I might (62)
13.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise