The best advice I was ever given before A-Level Results Day ... Watch

izzygrace_17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Around this time last year, I was anxiously awaiting my results just like thousands of you will be right now. So many anxieties and worries were running around my mind - will I get my first choice uni? Will I get my insurance choice? Will I have to retake? What if I completely flunk?

Well, the best piece of advice I was given by a friend a year older than I am was this:

The university that you have firmed has read your personal statement, your CV and they may have even interviewed you. They chose to offer you a place based on these interactions. If you slip a grade in your requirements, don't panic too quickly. The university is far more likely to offer you a place, based on the fact that they know far more about you and what you can bring to the university, than another random person through clearing.

Whilst this isn't full-proof advice and I cannot assure you 100% that you will get your firm choice if you slip a grade, this actually turned out to be true in my case. My requirements to get into Exeter University were AAA, but I received A*BB. Low and behold, two minutes (of pure agony) after my results came through I got my acceptance email from Exeter!!

If you are anxious about clearing, google all of the numbers of the universities you applied to and put them in your phone ready to go -- even your firm and insurance choices! Have your personal statement and CV printed and to hand in case you need to read them out over the phone, and make sure you know where the electronic ones are in case you need to email them. Have your UCAS number to hand, your passwords and your sixthform/college's number too - they should be helping you through this in case you need a remark!

Results days can vary from person to person. They can be scary, exciting or hugely relieving. Make sure to check on your friends after you know you're all sorted - they may need the support!!

The final bit of advice I can give you is not to be too hard on yourself. You will have done the best you could have done on the day of your exams, what's done is done and is out of your control for now! Remain calm and level-headed and you'll be fine!

Good luck to everyone who is getting their results in the next few days!! You've got this!!
Bleta24
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi! Thank you so much for posting this! It’s made me feel so much better! I have a friend who’s currently doing the same degree I’ve applied to and he got accepted at his firm even tho he slipped a grade, because I’m assuming his interview performance was really good! I think I did quite well in my interview so I’m just hoping for the best now cuz my exams weren’t bad but weren’t extremely good either 😂 thanks again! Xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
izzygrace_17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Bleta24)
Hi! Thank you so much for posting this! It’s made me feel so much better! I have a friend who’s currently doing the same degree I’ve applied to and he got accepted at his firm even tho he slipped a grade, because I’m assuming his interview performance was really good! I think I did quite well in my interview so I’m just hoping for the best now cuz my exams weren’t bad but weren’t extremely good either 😂 thanks again! Xx
No worries!! Good luck with your results 🤞
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads