ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please explain how you get the Answers. Part a was easy but I’m confused with b and c

A) given that 3.5 miles of an unidentified acid has a mass of 343g. What is the RFM of the acid?
343 divided by 3.5= 98

B)the % mass of the acid is made up of oxygen atoms at 65%. How many moles of the oxygen atoms are there in one mole of the acid????
Help answer book says you find 65% of 98 which was 63.7g (I don’t know why it’s in grams though since when does the RFM have unity’s of grams?) and then do 63.7 divide by 16 ehh ha is 3.98 moles. Please explain

C) in one mole of the acid, there is 1 mole of sulcus atoms. Deduce the chemical formula of the acid.
Then here I worked it out myself that 1 mole= 32g of oxygen but then that’s about it
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Please explain how you get the Answers. Part a was easy but I’m confused with b and c

A) given that 3.5 miles of an unidentified acid has a mass of 343g. What is the RFM of the acid?
3.5 miles! that's rather a long way ...

... still, the Proclaimers wouldn't see it as a problem.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
B)the % mass of the acid is made up of oxygen atoms at 65%. How many moles of the oxygen atoms are there in one mole of the acid????
Help answer book says you find 65% of 98 which was 63.7g (I don’t know why it’s in grams though since when does the RFM have unity’s of grams?) and then do 63.7 divide by 16 ehh ha is 3.98 moles. Please explain

C) in one mole of the acid, there is 1 mole of sulcus atoms. Deduce the chemical formula of the acid.
Then here I worked it out myself that 1 mole= 32g of oxygen but then that’s about it
It's all about proportions.

If the relative mass is 98
and 60% of it is oxygen
Then
98 x 60/100 = 63.7

parts of the relative mass is oxygen = 63.7

The relative formula is an integral ratio of the atoms in the formula, so there must be an integral number of each type of atom.
Hence

63.7/16 gives you the integral number of oxygen atoms in the relative formula = 4

c) I have scanned the periodic table from top to bottom but I can't find the element "sulcus"...
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by charco)
It's all about proportions

If the relative mass is 98
and 60% of it is oxygen
Then
98 x 60/100 = 63.7

parts of the relative mass is oxygen = 63.7

The relative formula is an integral ratio of the atoms in the formula, so there must be an integral number of each type of atom.
Hence

63.7/16 gives you the integral number of oxygen atoms in the relative formula = 4

c) I have scanned the periodic table from top to bottom but I can't find the element "sulcus"...
Thank you very much whoops! I meant sulphur I should be more careful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads