?
Report 1 week ago
is it a good a level to take?
ArtmisKco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Oh yeh I do think it is I just wanted to know how different are the gcse and alevel to do with topics and whether they mostly remain the same and if it is easy to answer the questions? How do you structure your answer for the questions (big mark ones)? For AQA
Last edited by ArtmisKco; 1 week ago
naem071
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The difficulty will without a doubt increase, you'll be expected to form links and apply your knowledge to the context presented, with very few marks being awarded simply for recall. There's a very strong focus on engaging in and presenting geographical debates, with you needing to craft six 20 mark essays in the final exams. A lot of the content will build upon pre existing knowledge from GCSE, but in units such as Changing Places you'll be introduced to concepts and theories which you wouldn't have come across previously.

In terms of topics you'll be studying three core units: Water and Carbon Cycles, Changing Places, and Global Systems and Global Governance. You'll also have three optional units: one unit from landscape geography (Coasts, Hot Deserts or Glacial Systems), one unit from either Hazards or Ecosystems under stress, and one of either Urban Environments, Population and the Environment or Resource Security.

I don't think there's any need for you to be worrying about essay structure at this stage, your teachers will guide you on this, but the general advice is an introduction, 3/4/5 paragraphs (this depends on your writing style), and an evaluative conclusion. Don't be worried if your first few essays receive low marks, it's a skill that will develop throughout the two years.
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Thank you very much on your insight!
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Would you say that the alevel is hard and difficult to hang on to? If I were to practice and read over notes everyday would i be fine?
naem071
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Would you say that the alevel is hard and difficult to hang on to? If I were to practice and read over notes everyday would i be fine?
Not particularly, so long as you're keeping yourself up to speed with content you'll be fine. Initially it can seem daunting, but you'll hone your skills through the two years as you gain a better understanding and as your exam technique develops. There isn't any need to practice and read over notes daily from the start of first year, most students will just revise before internal assessments throughout the year and they find that to be enough to keep refreshed, or some will have an hour of consolidation at the end of the week to review what they've learnt. It's nothing you won't be able to handle!
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Thank you very much 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.77%
Excited (145)
8.86%
Worried (296)
18.08%
Terrified (370)
22.6%
Meh (150)
9.16%
Confused (36)
2.2%