The Student Room Group

Edexcel grade boundary leaks - has it really happened again?

Scroll to see replies

Plus if Edexcel can't trust exams officers not to leak grade boundaries then why do they trust them not to open/leak exam papers prior to the exams.

If exams officers don't have the personal or professional integrity to keep embargoed information private then what does that say about their trustworthiness with more serious things?
Reply 41
Original post by PQ
Plus if Edexcel can't trust exams officers not to leak grade boundaries then why do they trust them not to open/leak exam papers prior to the exams.

If exams officers don't have the personal or professional integrity to keep embargoed information private then what does that say about their trustworthiness with more serious things?

Yes this is a very good point. If we can't trust Exams Officers to keep private information private then how we can be sure that there aren't small scale exam leaks every year that no one finds out about? To me it seems like the whole system needs reform.

I hope Edexcel do investigate this and find out if it was actually an Exams Officer who leaked the boundaries.
Reply 42
Not that I'm condoning the leak, but I can see how an exams officer could regard this as no big deal. It makes no difference to the grades that will be revealed tomorrow, and they will be public then in any case. If it was an exams officer who leaked it, I wouldn't assume they would even think of doing the same with exam papers.
Original post by Thaisensations
Mad
55% for an A rah

there were so many faults in the boundaries leaked. for example under Spanish one of the modules was called core maths
Reply 44
Original post by Pangol
Not that I'm condoning the leak, but I can see how an exams officer could regard this as no big deal. It makes no difference to the grades that will be revealed tomorrow, and they will be public then in any case. If it was an exams officer who leaked it, I wouldn't assume they would even think of doing the same with exam papers.

I used to be an Exams Officer and privacy was always the number one priority and this was drilled into me again and again by the exam board (CIE in my case). Whatever was in it, I can't comprehend how any EO could leak a secure document to the public. It wouldn't even cross my mind that the data in the document was "unimportant".

If Edexcel find the culprit then they should be removed from their job immediately since they can't be trusted with anything.
Original post by Notnek
I used to be an Exams Officer and privacy was always the number one priority and this was drilled into me again and again by the exam board (CIE in my case). Whatever was in it, I can't comprehend how any EO could leak a secure document to the public. It wouldn't even cross my mind that the data in the document was "unimportant".

If Edexcel find the culprit then they should be removed from their job immediately since they can't be trusted with anything.

Also the document had a watermark for bitcoin donations added. Why would an exams officer need/want bitcoin donations?
Reply 46
Original post by Digital_King321
Also the document had a watermark for bitcoin donations added. Why would an exams officer need/want bitcoin donations?

To keep it all private / untraceable.
Unless you know what mark you got I am not sure how knowing grade boundaries helps. The whole point is that they are adjusted so that a certain % of applicants get A*, A, B, C etc...
Reply 48
Original post by Notnek

You are of course correct that it shouldn't be leaked. But it's not going to make any difference to anyone at this stage. I can also imagine that exams officers would be more relaxed about sharing this with teachers in their schools (even though they really shouldn't), and then there will be many people who could leak them.

Didn't grade boundaries used to be released the day before the exams in any case?

I think Edexcel should reserve their ire for the people involved in leaking papers!
Original post by mkstudent
Unless you know what mark you got I am not sure how knowing grade boundaries helps. The whole point is that they are adjusted so that a certain % of applicants get A*, A, B, C etc...

For some students, it can help relieve stress from tomorrow
anyone got ocr grade boundaries. the Google drive link doesn't open
Have student standards slipped or have the exams gotten harder? The grade boundaries for some subjects seem ridiculously low

65% for an A* in Economics B .....
Original post by awaiskhanay18
anyone got ocr grade boundaries. the Google drive link doesn't open

https://www.reddit.com/r/6thForm/comments/cq7i1r/ocr_a_level_grade_boundaries/
Reply 54
Has anyone got/know the A* boundaries for further maths ?
Original post by Notnek
Assuming they're real, this is bad news for Edexcel. Their reputation as the exam board who can't stop leaks has been strengthened. It baffles me how this can happen when only Exams Officers have access to them.

Also, for those thinking that the thread title / OP used to be different, you're all imagining it :ninja:

There's at least one student on a discord I'm in with Edexcel Online details. I'm not sure the criteria, but it does seem possible for a student to obtain them legitimately. It only takes one of those students to release them (I strongly suspect it was a student and not an exams officer who leaked them).

AQA don't seem to hand them out willy nilly, hence why they haven't been leaked yet.
Original post by h_rris

Totally depends on your options. From what I remember, FM1 D1 is 231 for an A*. The other options are some slightly lower, and some higher.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by h_rris

Ok there seems to be confusion with modules due to the system used on the grade boundaries. Here's your boundaries for every combination:

FP1 and FP2: A* 235, A 197

FP1 and FS1: A* 237, A 199

FP1 and FM1: A* 242, A 200

FP1 and D1: A* 234, A 196

FS1 and FS2: A* 239, A 201

FS1 and FM1: A* 238, A 199

FS1 and D1: A* 230, A 195

FM1 and FM2: A* 248, A 203 (yikes lol)

FM1 and D1: A* 231, A 198

D1 and D2: A* 229, A 191
Original post by MagnumKoishi
There's at least one student on a discord I'm in with Edexcel Online details. I'm not sure the criteria, but it does seem possible for a student to obtain them legitimately. It only takes one of those students to release them (I strongly suspect it was a student and not an exams officer who leaked them).

AQA don't seem to hand them out willy nilly, hence why they haven't been leaked yet.

They were behind Gold Padlock, even if a student had EOL login details it would need to be an exam officer's account to access it, as even the teachers cannot get past Gold Padlock.
The percentage you need for an A is a joke, and the disparity between differing exam boards is dumb and arguably unfair. About time it had an overhaul with having an universal exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest