Scotland alcohol age rising to 21? Watch

Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well I can see the logic in introducing this age limit to cut down pre-drinking. But the problem is, it will just mean people go to pubs and clubs earlier, get just as drunk, and get into more debt.
Rags241
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What the hell is this absolute crap???? Im going to uni in St. Andrews next year, and what Im not going to be able to buy drink? What the hell is the point of that if I can go down to the pub and get a drink?? WTF!!
jessica101p
Report 11 years ago
Could not believe it when I heard about this! What an unbelievably stupid proposal. Does the government think that everyone is going to start drinking 'responsibly' just because 18-20 year olds can't, in theory, buy alcohol from off-licences? No, everyone will only spend more money in pubs and clubs. It will be back to getting older friends to buy alcohol, and the wee underage neds drinking in the park will still be doing just that- people are always going to be able to get drink in some way. How long are shops going to stick with strictly checking id when the people buying can legally consume alcohol anyway?And I'm guessing students make up a large proportion of their business. Madness!

All I can say is I'm glad I'm going to uni in England.
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Every hall of residence would have to open a bar.
Hmph and I've gone for self catering as well! Darn!

To be honest if I've gone to the supermarket (because I'm legally 18) and buy some alcohol, I'm going to drink it inside the WARMTH of my own home with a couple of friends rather than out on the street harassing old ladies who are often out at 10 o clock at night sipping their cocoa. Whereas if I go 'out' on a night out I'm more likely to get drunker as it is a 'night out' and therefore be more of a nuisance. :hmmmm2:
Targeting the wrong people in my opinion.
Freckely Tim
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bummer. Going to Uni in edinburgh, and self-catered as well! This is just another proposal that shows what the government thinks of young people: that we ALL hang around on street corners getting wasted and smashing cars in.

Why can't I, as a harmless, responsible student, just have a nice bottle of beer with my pot-noodles?!!
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From the article:

(Original post by BBC)
Paul Waterson, chief executive of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association - which represents pubs and clubs - said it was time for ministers to take strong action.

"Over the last couple of years the supermarkets have totally failed to respond to the obviously irresponsible promotions that they have within their stores," he said.

"There's a total lack of understanding that the prices they are charging, which means alcohol is often cheaper than water, is exacerbating the problem in Scotland."
I want to know where he's buying his booze, because if this ban comes through I'm going to want to stock up on beer that's "cheaper than water". What an idiot.
sweetdarling
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't want to start a new thread as there already is one. Just have a quick question. Will this actually come into affect and when?
Rian1988
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It would be just silly, why can I not by a bottle of wine at tesco when I use it to cook with for example?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sweetdarling)
Don't want to start a new thread as there already is one. Just have a quick question. Will this actually come into affect and when?
No, it was defeated in the Scottish Parliament, so never.
sweetdarling
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
No, it was defeated in the Scottish Parliament, so never.
Thanks .
haleq
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
if this did happen i'm sure we could see a huge last-legal-day public binge fest, not unlike the parties on the tube when it was banned there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads