maintenance loan doesn't cover accommodation! Watch

daytrippper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am extremely worried because my maintenance loan doesn't cover my accommodation! I'm not sure where I can get extra money from since my parents cannot financially support me. My weekly rent is £146, so in the first term I pay an installment of £1996. Once I pay this installment with my student finance and the money I have saved over summer, I have £200 left to last me for the next 4 months!!!! Help?????
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by daytrippper)
I am extremely worried because my maintenance loan doesn't cover my accommodation! I'm not sure where I can get extra money from since my parents cannot financially support me. My weekly rent is £146, so in the first term I pay an installment of £1996. Once I pay this installment with my student finance and the money I have saved over summer, I have £200 left to last me for the next 4 months!!!! Help?????
Your parents are meant to make up the difference between what sfe pay you and the max loan.
You should have worked out your rough costs months ago when choosing unis.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If you do not have enough money, then you get a job or alternatively take a gap and go the next year when you have saved enough.
You can use your od but tbh that is not the way to use uni.
nadeemharis410
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your maintenance loan is determined by your household income so your parents are probably expected to send you money if you got a lower loan. If they 100% can't support you, then I would suggest sending Student Finance a message and ask them what your options are. Another option is finding a part time job in the first term but make sure it doesn't impact your academia too much. You might also want to look into cheaper private accommodation to save money.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is there a reason why your parents cannot make up the difference?
aza23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm a student currently looking for housemates. I'm living in a 6 bedroom house by myself in Crookes (10 mins walk from uni) and the rent is approx £60-£70 a week. Let me know if you're interested
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.88%
Excited (116)
8.3%
Worried (262)
18.74%
Terrified (323)
23.1%
Meh (112)
8.01%
Confused (33)
2.36%