Car makes clicking noise when turned off? Watch

cbaforcba
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So I have just finished a night shift which is why this is being written so late, anyways when I got out my car to walk to my house I heard a clicking noise coming from under the car, i had a look wondering if something was dripping on the floor, but there was nothing there, I had literally just given somebody who, let's just say is on the bigger side of life, a lift and genuinely thought it could've been something to do with that person as the noise was coming from under the passenger side.

Anyways after a very small amount of research I guess it seems that every car does this when the engine cools down, but I just want to make sure that this is it and nothing else is wrong, to be fair I rarely if ever drive my car when it is so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, so it could always make this noise and I never hear it.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by cbaforcba)
So I have just finished a night shift which is why this is being written so late, anyways when I got out my car to walk to my house I heard a clicking noise coming from under the car, i had a look wondering if something was dripping on the floor, but there was nothing there, I had literally just given somebody who, let's just say is on the bigger side of life, a lift and genuinely thought it could've been something to do with that person as the noise was coming from under the passenger side.

Anyways after a very small amount of research I guess it seems that every car does this when the engine cools down, but I just want to make sure that this is it and nothing else is wrong, to be fair I rarely if ever drive my car when it is so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, so it could always make this noise and I never hear it.
Hah, you should hear my car when it turns off; electric pumps keep whirring, relays keep clicking, metal keeps contracting.

It's probably normal.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah, cars continue to make noises once turned off. Different types of metal expand and contract at different rates so as the car cools down you'll get some slight tights and similar noises as the metals cool off and change size. Your coolant will also depressurise which takes the pressure off the cooling system and that'll likely make noises as well.

More modern cars will monitor the vehicle for 15-45 minutes until the vehicle totally shuts down so there will probably still be some electronics doing some low-level stuff for a while as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
17.62%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
15.03%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (41)
21.24%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (70)
36.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (8)
4.15%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise