working as a paediatrician Watch

anonymous84.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi! i am a 15 year old girl aspiring to become a paediatrician in the future but i also want to have 4 kids in the future, preferably when i am age 25/26 with around a 2 year age gap- i know i am planning my future so much but i feel the need to know what i want my life to be like, if that makes sense. however, even though i am 100% not wanting to go into medicine for the money, i have genuinley wanted to be a doctor since i was a little child and ive always wanted to work with children, i don't know if i will be financially stable. obviously being a doctor is quite a high paying job, but if i want to have kids quite a bit younger than your average doctor, will i be living really comfortable money wise? my plan is to start off working in the NHS then switch to private once i am fully trained as a paediatrician. another question is: what are the processes i go through from the age of 18 all the way up until i become a qualified paediatrician? i know there is 5 years of uni then 2 years foundation but that is really all i know- what else happens? my final question is will i be able to spend a lot of time with my family, or will my job get in the way because that is something i just do not want to happen.thank you in advance
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anonymous84.)
x
Ok lots going on with this post. Lets break it down:

hi! i am a 15 year old girl aspiring to become a paediatrician in the future but i also want to have 4 kids in the future, preferably when i am age 25/26 with around a 2 year age gap- i know i am planning my future so much but i feel the need to know what i want my life to be like, if that makes sense
I mean, you can't always though. For starters, most people don't just become pregnant on demand - for most people it takes months of trying, sometimes longer. You'll also have to have found your definitive long term partner by what 23? Earlier? So still at med school? Not impossible but unusual for a doctor.

however, even though i am 100% not wanting to go into medicine for the money, i have genuinley wanted to be a doctor since i was a little child
Which I read as 'this decision has been made by a child and is probably ill-informed'. Have you actually done lots of research into the career? Pros and cons? Have you any work experience?

...and ive always wanted to work with children,
Obviously that is what paediatricians do, but bear in mind that its not all play and cuddles. In fact, not much of it is at all! You'll spend much more time pinning down the screaming child to take their blood, and they will not forgive you. You are the one who deals with irate, sometimes irrational parents. You deal with child abuse and accusations of child abuse

Again: work experience is key.

i don't know if i will be financially stable. obviously being a doctor is quite a high paying job, but if i want to have kids quite a bit younger than your average doctor, will i be living really comfortable money wise?
As a very rough guide, your pay as an FY1 will be about £33k, FY2 about £41k, ST1-2 (3rd and 4th year) £45k, ST3-6 £55k. NHS mat pay which they have to offer you is: you must have been working for the NHS for a year and have a contract that has at least 3 months remaining on it. Full pay 8 weeks, then half pay 18 weeks, then unpaid 26 weeks.

With that frequency of children you will be taking a lot of time off and your training will be very slow. You would likely struggle for money a fair amount - a junior doctor's wage is less than childcare for 4 children in every place I've ever seen.

I guess it depends how much your partner will be earning!

my plan is to start off working in the NHS then switch to private once i am fully trained as a paediatrician.
Very few doctors only work in the private sector - most do a fair bit of NHS work then do private on top of that. The reality is that the NHS gets the complicated cases and if you want to maintain your skills that's where you need to be.

another question is: what are the processes i go through from the age of 18 all the way up until i become a qualified paediatrician? i know there is 5 years of uni then 2 years foundation but that is really all i know- what else happens?
Then ST1-8 as a paediatrics trainee. i.e. 8 more years. However, given your maternity plans that'd become more like 12 years, and it'd become even more if you went part time at any point - it could approach 16 years.

You rotate around different hospitals during this period so are not fixed in one place. Many people deal with this by moving house a lot, but if you have kids its more likely you'd just have to do very long commutes.

my final question is will i be able to spend a lot of time with my family, or will my job get in the way because that is something i just do not want to happen.thank you in advance
A full time paediatrician is a lot of hours and a lot of weekends and nights whilst training (i.e. before you're a consultant).

Paeds is easy to go part time - and having children is definitely adequate reason to ask them to let you do that. You could work 3 days a week, say. However, clearly your pay is cut proportionately.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

This is extremely specific for someone your age, just enjoy your youth!

If you have 4 kids and a career as a doctor, believe me you will not be rockefeller.

My two kids are seriously in love with my purse as it is.

And lots of time with your kids, as a paediatrician? No you will often be busy with kids, but other peoples kids , in some cases battling to save their lives.

I had a friend who was a consultant paediatrician. We were having a dinner party and he was called out a couple of hours beforehand. We waited and waited for him but as he didn’t turn up we started to eat. Meanwhile he was in the middle of a four hour operation, trying to save a little girl’s life.

Your expectations are pretty unrealistic, tbh. Wondering if you are a troll.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Your expectations are pretty unrealistic, tbh. Wondering if you are a troll.
I don't get that vibe, some people on here are really that exact about how they think their life will be. The other interesting group to look out for are the 14 year old neurosurgeons who want to move to the US

Anyway OP, you've been given some good advice above. Do bear in mind there are other specialties that work with children without being paediatricians and having to deal with the acute rota e.g. GP, child and adolescent psychiatry, paediatric ophthalmology, etc.

Paeds is also not a very lucrative specialty when it comes to private work, and as already stated, very few doctors work exclusively in the private sector in the UK anyway.

Four kids though...:eek:
lilacdolphin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anonymous84.)
hi! i am a 15 year old girl aspiring to become a paediatrician in the future but i also want to have 4 kids in the future, preferably when i am age 25/26 with around a 2 year age gap- i know i am planning my future so much but i feel the need to know what i want my life to be like, if that makes sense. however, even though i am 100% not wanting to go into medicine for the money, i have genuinley wanted to be a doctor since i was a little child and ive always wanted to work with children, i don't know if i will be financially stable. obviously being a doctor is quite a high paying job, but if i want to have kids quite a bit younger than your average doctor, will i be living really comfortable money wise? my plan is to start off working in the NHS then switch to private once i am fully trained as a paediatrician. another question is: what are the processes i go through from the age of 18 all the way up until i become a qualified paediatrician? i know there is 5 years of uni then 2 years foundation but that is really all i know- what else happens? my final question is will i be able to spend a lot of time with my family, or will my job get in the way because that is something i just do not want to happen.thank you in advance
You really do have your life planned out! Other posts have covered your questions but what I would like to say is to advise you to keep an open mind. I was a bit like you a few years ago (not quite as specific) but I was certain what speciality I wanted to do etc. That has COMPLETELY changed since I started med school and I'm only 2 years in. (I also kinda thought I'd have a bf by now and still wondering where he is 😂)
It's great that you've got a clear plan, but try to get experience in paeds as well as other areas of medicine. You might find something else that you become passionate about. I personally could never do paeds (I think) because I would find it too upsetting having worked with kids for years.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%