What type of grade is more important ? Watch

vicky:2002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I am currently studying BTEC Hospitality, Art and Design, Business and one IB subject which is psychology SL.
I was wondering if anybody knows how important IGCSE`s/ grades and personal statements are, for these particular universities. ( Durham, Southampton, Portsmouth, Exeter and Kent).
I understand that some of them are in Russel groups, but is there a chance they will focus on the personal statement or any other achievements, instead of IGCSE grades?
(Also my current grades are DDM)
Thank you
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vicky:2002)
Hello, I am currently studying BTEC Hospitality, Art and Design, Business and one IB subject which is psychology SL.
I was wondering if anybody knows how important IGCSE`s/ grades and personal statements are, for these particular universities. ( Durham, Southampton, Portsmouth, Exeter and Kent).
I understand that some of them are in Russel groups, but is there a chance they will focus on the personal statement or any other achievements, instead of IGCSE grades?
Thank you
That’s quite a mix of subjects. What course are you planning on applying for?
vicky:2002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
That’s quite a mix of subjects. What course are you planning on applying for?
Haha it is indeed!
I am planning on studying criminology
Student Rep Phil
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vicky:2002)
Thank you
Hey there!
With regards to your question, I would say your IB/BTEC grade alongside a strong personal statement are both very important and will strongly influence the outcome of your application. GCSE’s are not necessarily becoming less important, but fewer universities are still using them as the basis of their decisions and it would very much depend on the course itself. I would urge you to focus on your PS for now, making sure you know yourself know why you want to follow a career path in criminology and what you yourself can bring to the course and university. I’m sure you will do just fine. Best of luck with your exam results!

If you would like to know anything about Kent specifically then please feel free to message me, I am currently a final year student at the university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (216)
12.39%
Excited (161)
9.23%
Worried (308)
17.66%
Terrified (385)
22.08%
Meh (180)
10.32%
Confused (37)
2.12%