Calling up my firm uni Watch

null12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm not exactly sure how it works but if UCAS shows that my firm choice has declined(?) my offer because I missed my offer and its just by one grade (which is just 2 marks) can I still call up the uni to ask if they could consider me?
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by null12345)
I'm not exactly sure how it works but if UCAS shows that my firm choice has declined(?) my offer because I missed my offer and its just by one grade (which is just 2 marks) can I still call up the uni to ask if they could consider me?
No, it doesn't work that way. The unis have been considering everyone's A level grades since the weekend and have thought hard about who they can accept and who they wish to decline, they won't change their mind just by people phoning them up to plead their case. If you have been declined by your Firm, your application will have been considered by your Insurance choice uni, which hopefully required lower grades anyway? So you could look on Track and see that you have been accepted by your Insurance uni IF your Firm has rejected you. Although it is entirely possible that your Firm would accept you anyway, if you have only dropped by one grade.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Universities can’t easily undo a rejection. They won’t send that to ucas without considering whether there’s any other options. If Track says unsuccessful then there’s no point ringing (unless you’re getting a priority remark). If Track says your offer is still conditional (no changes) then you MUST ring
null12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
Universities can’t easily undo a rejection. They won’t send that to ucas without considering whether there’s any other options. If Track says unsuccessful then there’s no point ringing (unless you’re getting a priority remark). If Track says your offer is still conditional (no changes) then you MUST ring
If it does say unsuccessful and I enter into clearing, would it be possible to apply through clearing for the same uni and same course to try again? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.
Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
No, it doesn't work that way. The unis have been considering everyone's A level grades since the weekend and have thought hard about who they can accept and who they wish to decline, they won't change their mind just by people phoning them up to plead their case. If you have been declined by your Firm, your application will have been considered by your Insurance choice uni, which hopefully required lower grades anyway? So you could look on Track and see that you have been accepted by your Insurance uni IF your Firm has rejected you. Although it is entirely possible that your Firm would accept you anyway, if you have only dropped by one grade.
Wait, when do unis get our grades?

And does that mean if I look at UCAS and got accepted for AAA there’s a chance I got something like AAB but they still accepted me?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it does say unsuccessful and I enter into clearing, would it be possible to apply through clearing for the same uni and same course to try again? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.
If they already rejected you, knowing the course was going into clearing, it seems unlikely they would accept you through clearing for that same course.

(Original post by Rhodesian)
And does that mean if I look at UCAS and got accepted for AAA there’s a chance I got something like AAB but they still accepted me?
Some universities do consider "near miss" candidates on a case-by-case basis. As PQ said, if you've missed your grades and track shows that your offer is still conditional, call the university as soon as possible to discuss your options. They may be able to offer you a place on that course, or if not they may be able to offer you a place on another similar course instead.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can ring them to ask if you enjoy being told no. Universities will accept firm applicants with lower grades than they’ll accept through clearing. They wouldn’t reject you if there was any chance that they would take you.

Unless Track shows no change tomorrow morning then there’s no point ringing your firm choice.
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
Wait, when do unis get our grades?

They will have been sent them over the weekend although most will not have started making their decisions until Monday. But although they know your grades they are not allowed to discuss them with you as there is an embargo until 6am tomorrow morning.

If you look at Track tomorrow morning before collecting your results and see that you have been accepted onto an AAA course, there is indeed a possibility that you got something like AAB or lower but they still accepted you. You won't know your grades until you get them from your school/college
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%