Can I become a Doctor by doing BTEC Watch

Josh1234rs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi there, Firstly I would like to know if I could become a doctor if I do level 3 in BTEC. Secondly also if possible what subjects can I take for BTEC to be in the medical field. Thirdly could I do BTEC alongside 2 A-Level subjects. I apologize about the silly questions I’m new to this course so I would like to clear my doubts.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I would recommend you contact medical schools to enquire. I imagine at "best" you would only be considered doing a BTEC (in any subject) alongside two STEM subjects at A-level (including one of chemistry or biology, if not both). However I don't know how many if any medical schools would accept such a combination, or whether you would be considered a competitive applicant even if they did accept it.

Medical school and the medical profession once you finish the degree is filled with exams and studying for them, so it seems a bit redundant to try and avoid just one extra exam in your academic career in this way anyway.
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Josh1234rs)
Hi there, Firstly I would like to know if I could become a doctor if I do level 3 in BTEC. Secondly also if possible what subjects can I take for BTEC to be in the medical field. Thirdly could I do BTEC alongside 2 A-Level subjects. I apologize about the silly questions I’m new to this course so I would like to clear my doubts.
Is there a particular reason you're so keen to do a BTEC instead of 3/4 A-levels?
sanaa17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Josh1234rs)
Hi there,

You can't get into undergraduate Medicne after your A levels with BTECs bcz medical schools require you to study A level chem along with 2 other A level subjects.. I think there are a few in the UK that allow BTEC but you'd have to research yourself as I can't quite remember.

If you decide to study a BTEC I'd say choose it in a subject you enjoy bcz if you do well and achieve the grades to do an undergarduate degree (3-4 years)you can then do Graduate Medicine after if you achieve a 2.1 in a science subject (some universities prefer this) or a degree of any displine(some uiversities don't mind your previous degree) Again research this , This route is alot diffifult as it is more competitive and there are entry exams but it's the only option for you if you choose a BTEC,

You can do a combination of BTECs and A levels, just not for medicine or dentistry. BTECs are more flexible as you have coursework not just an exam but research your preferred learning style and think why u want to become a Doctor? Is it worth it ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads