The Student Room Group

Labour would make students apply for university after A-level results day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PQ
If predicted grades are "wrong" then take them off the application form. Very few universities make admissions decisions based on predicted grades (and those that do shouldn't be...because they're mostly rubbish and disadvantage certain groups).

What do most universities base their admissions decisions on? Just so it's clear to everyone in this thread.
Original post by Notnek
What do most universities base their admissions decisions on? Just so it's clear to everyone in this thread.

Yeah caus everyone says unis don't look at your personal statement so it must be on your GCSEs and predicted grades.
Reply 22
Yes there really should be a third option in the poll for people who think the system needs changing but aren't happy with Labour's solution.
As only a small minority achieve their predicted grades (I know I won't), this sounds wise. This is what I'm doing anyway.
That's really brave of you to say, especially considering the fact that the Tories have done nothing but f*ck up y'alls country for you. What's another solution to this problem?
You either apply once you have received your results or you do not.
(edited 4 years ago)
If this were to work, then either Unis would need to start later. Or schools/results finish and come out earlier.
Original post by Crapaud8
I think unis might decide to show more realistic a-level entry requirements, I kn8ow a lot of unis who ask for AAA but then always give reduced offers such as ABB. These tend to be middle tier unis who try to attract students by putting artificially high requirements to make them look better I guess.

I suppose that's possible in theory, but my particular case was getting BBD for an AAB offer. That's fairly nonstandard, and I don't feel like those are the sort of entry requirements they'd put up.
Original post by Notnek

Most universities/courses make offers to 90% + of applicants. Basically if an applicant has any GCSE required grades (maths/english/science etc) and is taking the right qualifications for the standard offer then they get an offer.
Some universities will reject a few more because they require a specific subject at A level or similar (so most engineering courses will have offer rates of ~80% because a bunch of people apply without the required maths/physics qualifications).
Some courses where they're very oversubscribed will then look at achieved grades (GCSE, AS where that's available), references and PS to filter further...or will invite people to interview/submit work/do an extra test and use that to filter. This is why the LNAT is so popular with universities offering law - they can base selection decisions on something solid and current instead of over relying on 2 year old grades.

Across the whole of the UK this year only 25% of applications were rejected (and that includes medicine, nursing, primary teaching and massively oversubscribed universities and courses like eu applications to scottish universities, oxford, cambridge, lse, imperial etc...and that's applicatIONS (so everyone gets 5) not applicANTS). Rejections are the exception - and they're not based on predicted grades:wink:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I suppose that's possible in theory, but my particular case was getting BBD for an AAB offer. That's fairly nonstandard, and I don't feel like those are the sort of entry requirements they'd put up.

I guess that's a similar situation to giving put unconditional offers. my friend got two unconditional offers for engineering at Notthingham and Birmingham. That seems very non-standard for two AAA courses.
Reply 29
Original post by PQ
Most universities/courses make offers to 90% + of applicants. Basically if an applicant has any GCSE required grades (maths/english/science etc) and is taking the right qualifications for the standard offer then they get an offer.
Some universities will reject a few more because they require a specific subject at A level or similar (so most engineering courses will have offer rates of ~80% because a bunch of people apply without the required maths/physics qualifications).
Some courses where they're very oversubscribed will then look at achieved grades (GCSE, AS where that's available), references and PS to filter further...or will invite people to interview/submit work/do an extra test and use that to filter. This is why the LNAT is so popular with universities offering law - they can base selection decisions on something solid and current instead of over relying on 2 year old grades.

Across the whole of the UK this year only 25% of applications were rejected (and that includes medicine, nursing, primary teaching and massively oversubscribed universities and courses like eu applications to scottish universities, oxford, cambridge, lse, imperial etc...and that's applicatIONS (so everyone gets 5) not applicANTS). Rejections are the exception - and they're not based on predicted grades:wink:

Thanks for this!

So for non-oversubscribed courses, do you think the system could change to stop students even applying to a university if they don't have the required GCSE grades and A Level subject entries i.e. the online form would prevent them from submitting their application? Then all other students would be guaranteed a conditional offer and wouldn't have to wait for the unis to reply?

I think I could see some problems with this but I'm interested in your thoughts.
honestly, until someone can think of something better, the current system works. people above have already mentioned the amount of moving around needed to be done (such as timings of exams, school and the amount of applications unis have to look at in a short space of time) and it will take years to get it working smoothly.

personally i think it’s long and the current system is already simple enough - apply, get an offer, meet the offer, get in. if you get higher grades, go to a better uni, if you get lower grades, go to a different uni. i don’t see the problem? if the issue is with predicted grades, get rid of it (if unis don’t look at them anyways!) and now it’s less biased.

why do you guys want unnecessary stress? its going to be worse if it’s put after results day because it limits your ambitions and having offers makes people more determined. your place will not be secured just because you got triple a* as admission rates will still be low. it will put people at disadvantages because there will no longer be a way to distinguish people from grades. there will unintentionally be a wider class divide, more grade fraud....i just don’t see it working.
Original post by Notnek
Thanks for this!

So for non-oversubscribed courses, do you think the system could change to stop students even applying to a university if they don't have the required GCSE grades and A Level subject entries i.e. the online form would prevent them from submitting their application? Then all other students would be guaranteed a conditional offer and wouldn't have to wait for the unis to reply?

I think I could see some problems with this but I'm interested in your thoughts.

Now *that* I can see some universities getting the hump about (even though anyone sensible would approve of any improvements to apply to stop wasted applications). University marketing departments love promoting the mystique about how *important* a PS/application in and how *lucky* applicants are to get an offer etc etc as a way to bump up prestige/conversion/appeal.

But yes some sort of automated pre filtering would be good at the application stage (but would need to come with a big caveat for people with non standard or non uk qualifications - you don't want to stop those applications they just need redirecting).

It would be good if universities entry requirements showed on Apply when an applicant added a choice...and better advice from references.
the whole point of the change around is to make it fairer for disadvantaged students but I don't see anyone arguing that it would actually help. It just seems like it's another campaign idea to try to get young voters on side.
Reply 33
Original post by PQ
Now *that* I can see some universities getting the hump about (even though anyone sensible would approve of any improvements to apply to stop wasted applications). University marketing departments love promoting the mystique about how *important* a PS/application in and how *lucky* applicants are to get an offer etc etc as a way to bump up prestige/conversion/appeal.

But yes some sort of automated pre filtering would be good at the application stage (but would need to come with a big caveat for people with non standard or non uk qualifications - you don't want to stop those applications they just need redirecting).

It would be good if universities entry requirements showed on Apply when an applicant added a choice...and better advice from references.

Yes I can see why universities wouldn't like it :smile: Also, are the PS/references always read even if they don't influence offers? E.g. if someone has the required grades but mentions that they are a fan of arson in their PS, would this student probably get rejected?
Original post by Notnek
Yes I can see why universities wouldn't like it :smile: Also, are the PS/references always read even if they don't influence offers? E.g. if someone has the required grades but mentions that they are a fan of arson in their PS, would this student probably get rejected?

at open days I was always told universities don't even look at your personal statement (even at Cambridge). The only time i was told they look at them is either before your interview or if they're trying to choose between two students of similar ability on popular courses.
My gf said her personal statement was never mentioned in her 3 medicine interviews.
I remember spending a lot of of time on my PS and it mind a seemed like a waste. But you're still required to do it so try and put some effort in I guess.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notnek

:rofl: a fan of arson would be brilliant. There are sometimes rejections from a PS if it's clear the applicant is applying for completely the wrong course (particularly in health/vocational courses or even academic courses where they're over subscribed). They're always read - but they're not influential in decisions (because in most cases the assumption is that everyone gets an offer unless they have no chance of meeting the offer (only taking 2 A levels, don't have any A levels or experience etc). They're read more closely for non standard applications (and for borderline decisions this time of year). They aren't always read by academic staff at the point of application - because in most cases academic staff don't make individual admissions decisions at the point of application - they look at non standard initial applications and borderline cases at confirmation).
As someone who applied for medicine, it would be virtually impossible to interview everyone in a shorter timeframe. The interview season goes from November to March (sometimes to May) for a reason. Although I guess you could argue that by applying with actual grades, there could be fewer applicants as the ones who didn’t meet the requirements wouldn’t be able to apply.
Original post by Crapaud8
at open days I was always told universities don't even look at your personal statement (even at Cambridge). The only time i was told they look at them is either before your interview or if they're trying to choose between two students of similar ability on popular courses.
My gf said her personal statement was never mentioned in her 3 medicine interviews.
I remember spending a lot of of time on my PS and it mind a seemed like a waste. But you're still required to do it so try and put some effort in I guess.

There's a difference between looking at them and them being influential. They are normally looked at - and in some cases they're crucial for offer making decisions (LSE is the most obvious one here but there are others).

I'd always say it's a worthwhile exercise to do a good PS. For a start it is useful for applicants to properly articulate their enthusiasm for the course - if that's a struggle then it might hint that the course isn't the right choice to study full time for 3+ years. Secondly there's always a chance that one of the 5 choices might put more emphasis on the PS when deciding who gets the offer so no harm done. And thirdly PSs *do* get referred to this time of year if an applicant has missed their offer conditions and a university isn't sure about taking them with lower grades - a good PS can sometimes sway staff to believe that an applicant is motivated enough to put in extra work to do well on the degree even if their grades aren't at the standard normally accepted.
was going to say something similar but this is better.
Original post by PQ
There's a difference between looking at them and them being influential. They are normally looked at - and in some cases they're crucial for offer making decisions (LSE is the most obvious one here but there are others).

I'd always say it's a worthwhile exercise to do a good PS. For a start it is useful for applicants to properly articulate their enthusiasm for the course - if that's a struggle then it might hint that the course isn't the right choice to study full time for 3+ years. Secondly there's always a chance that one of the 5 choices might put more emphasis on the PS when deciding who gets the offer so no harm done. And thirdly PSs *do* get referred to this time of year if an applicant has missed their offer conditions and a university isn't sure about taking them with lower grades - a good PS can sometimes sway staff to believe that an applicant is motivated enough to put in extra work to do well on the degree even if their grades aren't at the standard normally accepted.
Original post by PQ

I'd always say it's a worthwhile exercise to do a good PS. For a start it is useful for applicants to properly articulate their enthusiasm for the course - if that's a struggle then it might hint that the course isn't the right choice to study full time for 3 years. Secondly there's always a chance that one of the 5 choices might put more emphasis on the PS when deciding who gets the offer so no harm done. And thirdly PSs *do* get referred to this time of year if an applicant has missed their offer conditions and a university isn't sure about taking them with lower grades - a good PS can sometimes sway staff to believe that an applicant is motivated enough to put in extra work to do well on the degree even if their grades aren't at the standard normally accepted.

I did say that universities look at your PS when they're choosing between two students of similar ability for a popular course, that was your third point.
I am just stating that after having applied to and gonne to the open days at Bristol, Warwick, Cambridge, Southampton and Birmingham, I was told at every single one that they don't look at your personal statement during the application process.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending