Is Maths, further maths and physics enough? Watch

nathanh016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
On the Cambridge engineering FAQ page (https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/faqs) it says the following:

"Because of the synergies between these three subjects, they do not require as much work of a strong mathematician (which we hope our applicants are!) as three more disparate subjects. Therefore, if a student is only taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics, then this can raise concerns about their ability to handle a demanding workload. Taking a fourth A-Level, even if it is not relevant to Engineering, provides reassurance that you can indeed handle a demanding workload."

Is this a sentiment shared by many universities or is it unique to Oxbridge?
username4907538
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
yes actually.. enough to study engineering... perfect combo!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Lightning-Strike
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by nathanh016)
On the Cambridge engineering FAQ page (https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/faqs) it says the following:

"Because of the synergies between these three subjects, they do not require as much work of a strong mathematician (which we hope our applicants are!) as three more disparate subjects. Therefore, if a student is only taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics, then this can raise concerns about their ability to handle a demanding workload. Taking a fourth A-Level, even if it is not relevant to Engineering, provides reassurance that you can indeed handle a demanding workload."

It's only an issue if you haven't done well on your exams/are having retakes. Apart from that then you're fine.

I would honestly contact Cambridge/ the other unis if you have any concerns.

Good luck.
alexs2602
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What are your circumstances? I.e.: Just finished AS levels? I can't give specific advice but I see where they're coming from. If it wasn't clear they're saying because M, FM and P are so similar it's easier to study them together - it's not as much of a workload. University, particularly Oxbridge, can have massive workloads, particularly in final year. It's not exactly surprising to me. M, FM, P show aptitude for relevant material, an additional A level, regardless of relevance or even grade perhaps, shows ability to keep up with workload.

If it's still possible and you think you can do it, consider taking an additional A level. You might get an offer without it but it sounds like it would help a lot. If you can't manage it then you might be better off at a different university. Not trying to be mean, just realistic. I didn't go to Oxbridge, and I struggled with my workload in final year. It's no joke. It can have huge knock-on effects and you'd probably perform better elsewhere.
Last edited by alexs2602; 3 days ago
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by nathanh016)
Suitably qualified candidates (i.e. they meet the entry requirements) generally have no problems getting offers from UK universities. Those three A-levels are fine for the vast majority of engineering courses in the UK.
nathanh016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by alexs2602)
What are your circumstances? I.e.: Just finished AS levels?
Thank you for the detailed reply!
I have finished my first year at college studying computing as well as M, FM, P. At our college FM people do maths in the first year and I get my result later today.

I'm fully prepared to retake as I'm expecting a B, since I haven't worked very hard in maths this past year. In that scenario I'm almost certain I will drop computing, as I don't want to have the number of lessons equivalent to taking 5 A levels (since I will be covering the whole A level FM in 1 year as well so have double the lessons) and computing doesn't seem very important to where I want to go. And, to be frank, I don't enjoy computing, mainly due to problems with the teaching, so this outcome is actually quite ideal for me, since I get to focus on the subjects I'm interested in and enjoy - I'm ashamed to tell anyone this.

I'm not really interested in Oxbridge, just wondering if I'd have the same problem at other top universities such as Imperial, Durham, Bristol etc.

Edit: I got an A this morning, making my predicted grades AAAA or maybe A*AAA since the grade boundaries for the computing progression exam were ridiculously high, so I think I could be predicted an A*. If I drop computing they will be AAA.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by nathanh016; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads