xox_chichi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey there .
I am having troubles finding good books that you can analyse for coursework.
my themes are ; how war impact love , how love is tested , strength of love ( are they good themes ???)
one book has to be pre 100 and post 100
Laine.C
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Since you're looking for texts that have themes surrounding war and love, a couple books that have come to mind are:
Pre-1900: War and Peace
Post-1900: Gone with the Wind
Both demonstrate the impact of war on society and include dwindling romances and conflicted love that can be great themes to analyse 😊
EnglishStudent*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xox_chichi)
Hey there .
I am having troubles finding good books that you can analyse for coursework.
my themes are ; how war impact love , how love is tested , strength of love ( are they good themes ???)
one book has to be pre 100 and post 100
If you're looking for a challenge, Tennyson's Maud would be great for pre-1900. The speaker is probably mad and his psychological state declines after the woman he loves (read creepily obsessed with) dies. A very good example of a twisted form of love. In the end, he finds comfort while joining the military, which is also disturbing if you think about it.
xox_chichi
Rep:
?
(Original post by EnglishStudent*)
If you're looking for a challenge, Tennyson's Maud would be great for pre-1900. The speaker is probably mad and his psychological state declines after the woman he loves (read creepily obsessed with) dies. A very good example of a twisted form of love. In the end, he finds comfort while joining the military, which is also disturbing if you think about it.
Thank you so much for your help, yes that book is a challenge.
xox_chichi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laine.C)
Since you're looking for texts that have themes surrounding war and love, a couple books that have come to mind are:
Pre-1900: War and Peace
Post-1900: Gone with the Wind
Both demonstrate the impact of war on society and include dwindling romances and conflicted love that can be great themes to analyse 😊
Hey ,

Basically i like Gone with the wind but war and peace looks very complicated .
My exam board is love through the ages so there needs to be some aspect of love so .
i wanted you opinion of these books in comparison to Gone with the Wind.
- Anna Karenina -Novel by Leo Tolstoy - 1878
- The Scarlet Letter 1855
- The Awakening -1889

thank you for your help once again.
Laine.C
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xox_chichi)
Hey ,

Basically i like Gone with the wind but war and peace looks very complicated .
My exam board is love through the ages so there needs to be some aspect of love so .
i wanted you opinion of these books in comparison to Gone with the Wind.
- Anna Karenina -Novel by Leo Tolstoy - 1878
- The Scarlet Letter 1855
- The Awakening -1889

thank you for your help once again.
Sorry for the extremely late reply! I was away on holiday for a few weeks.

Personally I feel that Anna Karenina would be a brilliant comparison to Gone With The Wind. They have similar narratives that will make contrasting them simple and allow you to get the most analysis from them.

I also studied the love through the ages part of the course so these two texts would definitely compliment the criteria.

Common themes within the novels that relate to war and love that you could explore are: jealousy, abusive relationships, betrayal, conflicted love, the role of women, etc.

I hope this wasn't too late of a response and goodluck with your NEA.
luna_97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by EnglishStudent*)
I'm doing my A level English literature and that is exactly the text I have to focus on, but I'm having problems coming up with good context and analysing good quotes. I just wanted to ask If u have any advice for this problem, or if you have any experience. Anything would help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads