The Student Room Group

Did I take the pill incorrectly?

Hi guys, it's my first time on the pill (I just took my first one yesterday) and I feel like I took it at the wrong time.

For example, I had my last period on the 8th of July and my next scheduled period is supposed to come this week as my regular cycle (according to my period calendar app) is about 35 days but since I didn't get it or am I feeling any of the post period symptoms I thought to download a new period calendar in case.

After filling in the details and pervious periods, apparently my regular cycle is about 27 days and that I'm 9 days late.

I tired this again with another period calendar app and it said the same thing (27 days) so I decided to take my first ever pill yesterday at 18:00 because apparently according to my two new period apps, I should be ovulating today? I know period calendar's aren't 100% accurate, I just thought I'd ask in case.

I've never had sex before, me and my boyfriend want to try it out in the 31st this month.

So I just want to know if I'm taking the pill correctly? Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, it's my first time on the pill (I just took my first one yesterday) and I feel like I took it at the wrong time.

For example, I had my last period on the 8th of July and my next scheduled period is supposed to come this week as my regular cycle (according to my period calendar app) is about 35 days but since I didn't get it or am I feeling any of the post period symptoms I thought to download a new period calendar in case.

After filling in the details and pervious periods, apparently my regular cycle is about 27 days and that I'm 9 days late.

I tired this again with another period calendar app and it said the same thing (27 days) so I decided to take my first ever pill yesterday at 18:00 because apparently according to my two new period apps, I should be ovulating today? I know period calendar's aren't 100% accurate, I just thought I'd ask in case.

I've never had sex before, me and my boyfriend want to try it out in the 31st this month.

So I just want to know if I'm taking the pill correctly? Thank you.

A lot of things can cause a late period - stress, hormones etc.

One day of taking the pill isn't going to change too much. I used to take mine in the morning, but knew people who took them in the evening. There isn't normally a 'right' time, it's about taking it at a consistent time.

Some pills you take for the first time right after your period finishes, other pills you can take at any time in your cycle.

Why do you think you've taken it wrong?

If in doubt, ask your GP :yep:
You can start the pill at any time in your cycle. After 7 days you are protected. Consider condoms too if either of you have had sex before and not been tested.
You can also call any local pharmacy for advice on the contraceptive pill. It's often much quicker and sometimes better than going through your doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest