Struggling in ucat AR and QR Watch

Subrinaak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi guys. My ucat is in just over two weeks and i've been doing mock tests on medify. i end up doing really well in VR and situational judgement but poorly on AR and QR, particularly AR. i just can't figure out most patterns and it brings down my score a lot (scored 570 on the last mock). I do well in QR but i just end up running out of time for the last couple of questions. Do you guys have any advice for me?
bluesky1989
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Subrinaak)
Hi guys. My ucat is in just over two weeks and i've been doing mock tests on medify. i end up doing really well in VR and situational judgement but poorly on AR and QR, particularly AR. i just can't figure out most patterns and it brings down my score a lot (scored 570 on the last mock). I do well in QR but i just end up running out of time for the last couple of questions. Do you guys have any advice for me?
I would say for the QR , don’t try to answer all of the questions , set yourself a longer amount of time for slightly less questions and just focus on getting the answers to these correct. I did 40 second per question instead of 30 and got 720 in QR in the real thing. And for the patterns I always found them tricky so just keep practicing mock questions, that’s what I did and it did help on the day. Have you looked online at the ukcat website which has mock tests?
KharmaMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hey!

I'd recommend for AR to keep looking at the patterns for as long as it takes for you to figure it out for yourself. When you do, write the pattern down in a list until you have a long list of patterns that could eventually come up.

Then when you see new shapes you can refer to that list and see if anything on there applies to your new pattern. This way you will build a systematic approach to checking for lots of different possible rules.

Good luck!

KharmaMedic

(Original post by Subrinaak)
Subrinaak
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by bluesky1989)
I would say for the QR , don’t try to answer all of the questions , set yourself a longer amount of time for slightly less questions and just focus on getting the answers to these correct. I did 40 second per question instead of 30 and got 720 in QR in the real thing. And for the patterns I always found them tricky so just keep practicing mock questions, that’s what I did and it did help on the day. Have you looked online at the ukcat website which has mock tests?
Thank you! I will use that strategy for QR. And yes i have
Subrinaak
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by KharmaMedic)
Hey!

I'd recommend for AR to keep looking at the patterns for as long as it takes for you to figure it out for yourself. When you do, write the pattern down in a list until you have a long list of patterns that could eventually come up.

Then when you see new shapes you can refer to that list and see if anything on there applies to your new pattern. This way you will build a systematic approach to checking for lots of different possible rules.

Good luck!

KharmaMedic
That's a really good idea thank you! I will definitely try it out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%