If you mess up A levels, what to do next? Watch

Martin2343
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Say for example you miss both your firm and insurance, and are applying for a fairly competitive course (CS, Maths etc.) with fairly high ambitions.
None of the major Russel Group unis offer this competitive course through clearing, since they're all taken. What can you do?
With the new linear A levels, do we resit the entire year? And if so, do the major Russel Group unis accept your resit grades? Since you can't resit specific modules anymore, and can only retake the entire year
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Martin2343)
Say for example you miss both your firm and insurance, and are applying for a fairly competitive course (CS, Maths etc.) with fairly high ambitions.
None of the major Russel Group unis offer this competitive course through clearing, since they're all taken. What can you do?
With the new linear A levels, do we resit the entire year? And if so, do the major Russel Group unis accept your resit grades? Since you can't resit specific modules anymore, and can only retake the entire year
There are definitely lots of options in clearing for maths and some for CS and there will be more tomorrow- so if you're interested in clearing then you will have options. Have a look on UCAS course search! Maths applications are down this year I believe so there will be some places available.

You would have to retake the whole year. These days, most unis do accept resits. It might make you a bit less competitive as a candidate, but outside of Oxbridge, you'll probably get offers (obviously it does depend on how badly you do in your A-levels this year).

Is there a particular reason you think your A-levels won't be great this year?
Martin2343
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
There are definitely lots of options in clearing for maths and some for CS and there will be more tomorrow- so if you're interested in clearing then you will have options. Have a look on UCAS course search! Maths applications are down this year I believe so there will be some places available.

You would have to retake the whole year. These days, most unis do accept resits. It might make you a bit less competitive as a candidate, but outside of Oxbridge, you'll probably get offers (obviously it does depend on how badly you do in your A-levels this year).

Is there a particular reason you think your A-levels won't be great this year?
I've applied for CS and both my firm and insurance offers are fairly high. My firm requires an A in Further Maths, which I don't think i've met, which is my main concern.
I've looked through clearing courses at some reputable unis, such as Manchester, Warwick etc.. but almost none of them offer a Computer Science clearing course, only Electronics. Regardless, i've made a document for all these options.
I was mainly wondering if unis like Imperial etc.. would consider resit students? Though i'd have to likely get 4 A*'s to even be considered. Also, how would it work? who gives me my predicted grades to apply? Does it mean i take 2 years off?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I've applied for CS and both my firm and insurance offers are fairly high. My firm requires an A in Further Maths, which I don't think i've met, which is my main concern.
I've looked through clearing courses at some reputable unis, such as Manchester, Warwick etc.. but almost none of them offer a Computer Science clearing course, only Electronics. Regardless, i've made a document for all these options.
I was mainly wondering if unis like Imperial etc.. would consider resit students? Though i'd have to likely get 4 A*'s to even be considered. Also, how would it work? who gives me my predicted grades to apply? Does it mean i take 2 years off?
Firstly, do bear in mind that people do get into uni as near misses- so even if your firm wants an A and you get a B, it doesn't 100% mean you won't get in.

More courses do usually become available on results day, so if you do end up in clearing then do check on UCAS again! It's also worth ringing up unis on spec sometimes- if they have a few spaces on a popular course, they may not advertise them on UCAS.

Imperial say here that they only don't accept resits for medicine :
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...ons-Policy.pdf

If you're at a state school, they will often support you through resits and teachers will provide predicted grades. Otherwise, you could get predicted grades from a tutor, or some unis will let you apply without them. It wouldn't have to take 2 years to reapply.
Martin2343
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Firstly, do bear in mind that people do get into uni as near misses- so even if your firm wants an A and you get a B, it doesn't 100% mean you won't get in.

More courses do usually become available on results day, so if you do end up in clearing then do check on UCAS again! It's also worth ringing up unis on spec sometimes- if they have a few spaces on a popular course, they may not advertise them on UCAS.

Imperial say here that they only don't accept resits for medicine :
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...ons-Policy.pdf

If you're at a state school, they will often support you through resits and teachers will provide predicted grades. Otherwise, you could get predicted grades from a tutor, or some unis will let you apply without them. It wouldn't have to take 2 years to reapply.
Oops, just saw this, didn't receive a notification.
I hope the Imperial no resit policy is only specific to medicine? Though, understandably, chances of receiving an offer is low.
Also, wouldn't having a private tutor decide your predicted grades be bias?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
Resit as private candidate , most unis dont have an issue with resits although might be a higher offer.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Oops, just saw this, didn't receive a notification.
I hope the Imperial no resit policy is only specific to medicine? Though, understandably, chances of receiving an offer is low.
Also, wouldn't having a private tutor decide your predicted grades be bias?
No worries

The resit policy is specific to medicine, but obviously a resit candidate without extenuating circumstances would usually be less competitive.

Predicted grades are notoriously unreliable anyway, and teachers can be biased too. I've never heard of a uni rejecting a reference/predicted grades because they came from a tutor rather than a school teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%