scrippsy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Martin2343)
harrysbar Arisapo
Things have changed once again...
I got my remarked result back for Computer Science (not the remoderation I mentioned previously, this is just a remark of one paper), surprisingly I managed to go up to an A grade in Computer Science now.
I now stand at A*AAB. I have contacted my firm and am waiting for a response. It is very unlikely they will give me an offer for 2019 entry, but likely it will be a deferred entry for 2020 if they want to. (I meet my firm offer of A*AA now).
I am now unsure of what to do in the case I get a deferred entry for 2020. That is, in terms of how to go about dropping my Southampton offer (for which freshers starts on the 21st), and what I would do during this "gap year".
I would like to sit the STEP papers if I end up on a gap year, but am not sure what else I would be doing during this year.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I apologise for the changing circumstances, but really appreciate your advice and support throughout this.
Wow great news! I'm also waiting on a remark to meet an A*AA offer although not for computer science. How many marks did you go up by?
Martin2343
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by scrippsy)
Wow great news! I'm also waiting on a remark to meet an A*AA offer although not for computer science. How many marks did you go up by?
Hey, thanks! It was finally good to hear some decent news after such a frustrating month.
This particular one went up by 3 marks somehow.
Best of luck.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
harrysbar Arisapo
Things have changed once again...
I got my remarked result back for Computer Science (not the remoderation I mentioned previously, this is just a remark of one paper), surprisingly I managed to go up to an A grade in Computer Science now.
I now stand at A*AAB.
Wow - thats great! You should get into your firm or be a pretty great applicant for anywhere you want to go. Congratulations again on your A level results.

Any reason for being hesitant about a year out? Any ideas about what you might do?
Martin2343
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Wow - thats great! You should get into your firm or be a pretty great applicant for anywhere you want to go. Congratulations again on your A level results.

Any reason for being hesitant about a year out? Any ideas about what you might do?
Thanks, still waiting for a written response from my firm.
If I were to get a deferred place at my firm, I would only be hesitant since it was an unplanned gap year, and most of the year in industry places etc.. would be gone by now or needed to be applied to last year. The only rough idea I have of what I would do is to take part in the STEP I and STEP II papers to keep me from forgetting about maths
I welcome any further suggestions you may have that I could do during the gap year if I get this deferred place.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, still waiting for a written response from my firm.
If I were to get a deferred place at my firm, I would only be hesitant since it was an unplanned gap year, and most of the year in industry places etc.. would be gone by now or needed to be applied to last year. The only rough idea I have of what I would do is to take part in the STEP I and STEP II papers to keep me from forgetting about maths
I welcome any further suggestions you may have that I could do during the gap year if I get this deferred place.
I wouldnt worry to much about the year in industry type schemes. These are pretty great, but there really are not a lot of them and they are location dependent.

What to do on a year out? A lot depends on your location and finances. Where do you live and what transport links do you have?

I'm generally a fan of taking a year to do other things after A levels. It gives you the chance to start university a little older, more sure about what you are doing and better able to engage with all the opportunities available. If it were me I'd try to find a busy service type job in a brandname chain - think Primark, Pizza Hut etc. You learn a lot about working for a corporate and teamwork - often better than doing a very junior clerical job. As you have an interest in IT I'd also look for IT related work - support desk perhaps?
Martin2343
Rep:
?
I wouldnt worry to much about the year in industry type schemes. These are pretty great, but there really are not a lot of them and they are location dependent.

What to do on a year out? A lot depends on your location and finances. Where do you live and what transport links do you have?

I'm generally a fan of taking a year to do other things after A levels. It gives you the chance to start university a little older, more sure about what you are doing and better able to engage with all the opportunities available. If it were me I'd try to find a busy service type job in a brandname chain - think Primark, Pizza Hut etc. You learn a lot about working for a corporate and teamwork - often better than doing a very junior clerical job. As you have an interest in IT I'd also look for IT related work - support desk perhaps?
Hey, thanks.

I'm based in Cambridgeshire, not quite as many opportunities as London unfortunately. In terms of finances, I would be dependent on my parents (just as I have been up until now).

The way i'm thinking is how employers would see a gap year as?

My parents seem to be more lenient towards me taking Southampton instead of doing nothing significant this year.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, thanks.

I'm based in Cambridgeshire, not quite as many opportunities as London unfortunately. In terms of finances, I would be dependent on my parents (just as I have been up until now).

The way i'm thinking is how employers would see a gap year as?

My parents seem to be more lenient towards me taking Southampton instead of doing nothing significant this year.
Well - you have the silicon fen to look for work - that’s not a bad place to be!

At grad level employers won’t mind at all if you have a year out now. If you get some practical experience, be that in IT, service sector or general office work it might be attractive. I doubt anyone would give you a training scheme place for one year but there are other things to do.
Martin2343
Rep:
?
Well - you have the silicon fen to look for work - that’s not a bad place to be!

At grad level employers won’t mind at all if you have a year out now. If you get some practical experience, be that in IT, service sector or general office work it might be attractive. I doubt anyone would give you a training scheme place for one year but there are other things to do.
My only concern is having to mention why I took my gap year. I'm not sure what I would really say? I can't really explain my current situation since I need to show that the gap year was a positive experience.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My only concern is having to mention why I took my gap year. I'm not sure what I would really say? I can't really explain my current situation since I need to show that the gap year was a positive experience.
You took a gap year in order to work and save up some money for uni.....right??
Martin2343
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
You took a gap year in order to work and save up some money for uni.....right??
I thought employers would be looking for something along the lines of: "Working with IBM during my gap year allowed me to further develop and implement my knowledge of Computer Science".
Rather than, "Having to take a gap year due to my remarked results coming late"?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought employers would be looking for something along the lines of: "Working with IBM during my gap year allowed me to further develop and implement my knowledge of Computer Science".
Rather than, "Having to take a gap year due to my remarked results coming late"?
Yes of course it's up to you to put a positive spin on it
Martin2343
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yes of course it's up to you to put a positive spin on it
If I don't manage to find relevant placements to my course, do you have any suggestions on what I could possibly do? Something that would be seen as positive, not only for employers but also for myself?
Thanks
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its good to think about how to present the things you do and the decisions you make at an interview. Really - lots of people take gap years whether voluntarily or not. Possible ways to present:

- took a gap year to save money before going to university. During this time I work in Pizzahut and learned a lot about working with a team and with the public.

- I had an unusual situation where my grades were lower than expected but improved a lot when the remarks came through. Although I had a great offer for an degree in electronics I wanted to study the course I had originally applied for (CS) so took the opportunity to get some experience of XXXXX in XXX company.
Martin2343
Rep:
?
Hi guys,
Just wanted to post an update.
I have accepted my firm offer at Edinburgh for 2020 direct second year entry to study Computer Science. It's been a stressful and frustrating time but I was fortunate enough to meet the grades for the offer after remarks. I'm now on a gap year, trying to catch up the things I miss on first year, and trying to find relevant placements.
Thank you all for the support (ajj2000 ,harrysbar,Arisapo,SarcAndSpark), I really appreciate it.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
I have accepted my firm offer at Edinburgh for 2020 direct second year entry to study Computer Science. It's been a stressful and frustrating time but I was fortunate enough to meet the grades for the offer after remarks. I'm now on a gap year, trying to catch up the things I miss on first year, and trying to find relevant placements.
Thank you all for the support (ajj2000 ,harrysbar,Arisapo,SarcAndSpark), I really appreciate it.
I'm really pleased for you

Thanks for the update
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,
Congrats on getting the grades. I hope you're happy with the outcome.

Good luck for your gap year- I hope you enjoy it!
Martin2343
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Oh god,
It's been a while, but I wanted to post an update.
I received an email yesterday saying "Unfortunately due to changes in the curriculum we are no longer offering entry into year two of the programme". I am so gutted, especially after going through all of the stuff in the last 2 months. They're now only offering first year entry, it's such a shame ;(
I'm surprised they can change my offer like this, especially having accepted the unconditional offer on UCAS, why did they not inform me before?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (129)
53.97%
18-20 years old (no) (29)
12.13%
20-25 years old (yes) (37)
15.48%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.67%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.53%