SAkap
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My son has a conditional offer for graduation in Chemistry. If his grdades are good, he may wish to change over to Chemical Engineering instead. His A level subjects are Chemistry , Biology and Literature. Yes he dod not have maths at A level, but I think the same University has a foundation year followed by graduating in Chemical engineering ( 3 years ). Is that the right path
WillMHere
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s a possible path, obviously engineering involves quite a bit of maths, however for example universities such as the university of Lincoln do foundation science courses, which then would allow you to move to an engineering degree. However obviously it would cost another years worth of finance. The other option would be to wait a year to go to university and take an A level maths course.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SAkap)
My son has a conditional offer for graduation in Chemistry. If his grdades are good, he may wish to change over to Chemical Engineering instead. His A level subjects are Chemistry , Biology and Literature. Yes he dod not have maths at A level, but I think the same University has a foundation year followed by graduating in Chemical engineering ( 3 years ). Is that the right path
What does your son think he would get from a chemical engineering degree that he would not get from a chemistry degree?

A foundation year can be quite an expensive option- it uses up a year of student finance and means your son wouldn't get finance if he needed to resit a year. He'd also obviously have all the additional expense of being at uni for another year.

If he does go for a foundation year he needs to research his options carefully- not all foundation years automatically guarantee progression onto the undergrad course, and students can end up left in the lurch.

Personally, if he's got good A-levels grades, I'm not sure going for a foundation year at this stage would be a good choice.
SAkap
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
What does your son think he would get from a chemical engineering degree that he would not get from a chemistry degree?

A foundation year can be quite an expensive option- it uses up a year of student finance and means your son wouldn't get finance if he needed to resit a year. He'd also obviously have all the additional expense of being at uni for another year.

If he does go for a foundation year he needs to research his options carefully- not all foundation years automatically guarantee progression onto the undergrad course, and students can end up left in the lurch.

Personally, if he's got good A-levels grades, I'm not sure going for a foundation year at this stage would be a good choice.
Firstly thanks for your quick response. the answer to your question :-I suppose to land him a job quicker as a Chemical Engineer, compared to being a Chemistry graduate
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SAkap)
Firstly thanks for your quick response. the answer to your question :-I suppose to land him a job quicker as a Chemical Engineer, compared to being a Chemistry graduate
Is that 100% what he wants to do? There are loads of great jobs out there open to chemistry graduates, and if he does decide to become an engineer, then I'm sure he'd be able to do a masters- which would be the same amount of time as an undergrad course + foundation year BUT he'd come out more highly qualified.

Personally, I think if he has a firm choice he is happy with, swapping it for a foundation year wouldn't be a smart move. He also does risk not ending up with a place that he wants at all- have you considered this risk?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads