magzab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I got accepted to a few universities in the UK and I’m seriously lost when it comes to choosing as there are so many factors. So far I have looked through various rankings and forums and narrowed it down to three unis.
I got accepted to Lancaster (International Law and International Relations) Strathclyde(International Relations, Law and Security) , Aberdeen( International Relations and International Law) Birkbeck (International Security and Global Governance) Bristol (European and Global Governance) Aston (International relations and Global Governance) and Coventry (Diplomacy, Law and Global Change).
Which one to choose? I’m thinking bout Lancaster or Strathclyde. I should add here that I will be looking at various internships and traineeships after graduating. Which uni and course gives me most options for a job and, before that, internships? Thank you 🙏🏼
University of Aberdeen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by magzab)
I got accepted to a few universities in the UK and I’m seriously lost when it comes to choosing as there are so many factors. So far I have looked through various rankings and forums and narrowed it down to three unis.
I got accepted to Lancaster (International Law and International Relations) Strathclyde(International Relations, Law and Security) , Aberdeen( International Relations and International Law) Birkbeck (International Security and Global Governance) Bristol (European and Global Governance) Aston (International relations and Global Governance) and Coventry (Diplomacy, Law and Global Change).
Which one to choose? I’m thinking bout Lancaster or Strathclyde. I should add here that I will be looking at various internships and traineeships after graduating. Which uni and course gives me most options for a job and, before that, internships? Thank you 🙏🏼
Hello magzab,
How are you today?

Congratulations upon being accepted to quite a few universities, that must be reassuring!

You mentioned the difficulties of choosing a programme of study. Yes rankings are important, information searches are important, but what you really need to ask yourself is what you will enjoy studying and which options are most likely to get you the job you have in mind (if you have already decided on a goal), or which programmes offer the most flexibility in terms of modules which can lead you in wider directions for employment. You have to factor in enjoyment, because firstly you are going to be studying your subject, and secondly you are likely to be working in an area which requires that subject.

The next important factor is to decide if you have more than one employment goal, or you would like more flexibility. Sometimes you can study a module within a programme, which lends itself to widening your job prospects considerably, or it deepens your capabilities within employment and allows you to shine.

You also mention you want internships and traineeships. It might be worth searching the careers services of universities. At Aberdeen we offer volunteering to improve your CV, placements and internships, enterprise discovery and competitions and also key skills which you will need in employment. You can also get involved in Knowledge Transfer Partnerships if the university you decide upon and the subject you choose are available via KTP. This is a good way to introduce yourself and your skills to an organisation, whilst being paid at the start of your career.

The last part is down to you. Your determination, aptitude and passion will get you the job you want.
I am sure you will do very well! Good luck with your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (194)
60.06%
No (71)
21.98%
Not sure (58)
17.96%

Watched Threads