Let's End Zero-Hour Contracts Watch

LGBTvoice
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi everyone,
I have recently started a petition on Change.org to try and get zero-hour contracts outlawed once and for all. I've written a detailed explanation as to why I think this is necessary, and I would be extremely grateful for people who are able to sign and share this petition. It doesn't take long and you could be a part of something massive once we reach our goal

http://chng.it/CrgKhxxGfG

Thank you so much
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by LGBTvoice)
Hi everyone,
I have recently started a petition on Change.org to try and get zero-hour contracts outlawed once and for all. I've written a detailed explanation as to why I think this is necessary, and I would be extremely grateful for people who are able to sign and share this petition. It doesn't take long and you could be a part of something massive once we reach our goal

Thank you so much
This is a good thing but sadly I don't think it would solve the problem. The best way to solve this issue is to vote our the Conservative Party. You may get a chance soon.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You could be on an 18-hour contract and have the same result. It makes no difference when you have no employment rights.
LGBTvoice
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
You could be on an 18-hour contract and have the same result. It makes no difference when you have no employment rights.
It’s the certainty we need though. Guaranteed 18 hours per week would be a step in the right direction. Even if you was guaranteed 4 hours per week, it’s better than the uncertainty as people know where they stand. Would also help with the UC crisis.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It’s the certainty we need though. Guaranteed 18 hours per week would be a step in the right direction. Even if you was guaranteed 4 hours per week, it’s better than the uncertainty as people know where they stand. Would also help with the UC crisis.
I think it's a leap. In many cases, people enjoy the freedom of turning down shifts and arranging work around studies.

If you have an employer who is fickle and won't offer shifts under zero-hour, why would they act any differently when you have an agreed 18-hour contract?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
There is a use for zero hour contracts. They're necessary for some businesses eg care and the flexibility works for some people.
angelinahx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
There is a use for zero hour contracts. They're necessary for some businesses eg care and the flexibility works for some people.
No, they're not. There are care industries in other countries which employ their workers on a fair basis - and even care workers within the UK who manage fine - and the "flexibility" inevitably leads to worker exploitation. I'm not sure why the British seems to favor that so much.
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Zero hour contract offer nothing but exploitation. By all means flex the hour but put them on a proper pay grade. It you can't afford to do that then you don't deserve to be in business.
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Are you on a zero-hour contract?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much
Ignoring the fact that a Labour Party study found that 84% of people on them are satisfied and average about 25 hours (Corbyn seems to ignore that particular study for some reason) a simple ban does not solve your problem. If you ban zero hours you just get everybody on a 4 hour contract for example.

The real problem here for you in citizens advise is the notice period of shifts which is not in statute. To get around not knowing when the next shift is, a better solution is simply to mandate a minimum of 7-14 days notice of shifts.

Also to solve any income problem folks on zero hours should really be on Universal Credit.
Last edited by Rakas21; 6 days ago
LGBTvoice
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Ignoring the fact that a Labour Party study found that 84% of people on them are satisfied and average about 25 hours (Corbyn seems to ignore that particular study for some reason) a simple ban does not solve your problem. If you ban zero hours you just get everybody on a 4 hour contract for example.

The real problem here for you in citizens advise is the notice period of shifts which is not in statute. To get around not knowing when the next shift is, a better solution is simply to mandate a minimum of 7-14 days notice of shifts.
I would be very much open to reform, but I would prefer an outright ban. I would love to read that study, I have not found many people who are satisfied with them. Satisfied they have a job at least, yes, maybe. Zero-hour contracts are also exacerbating the horrific Universal Credit situation dreamt up by the Conservatives which is driving more people into poverty and debt.
LGBTvoice
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)

Also to solve any income problem folks on zero hours should really be on Universal Credit.
Four hours is better than zero, and would assist in the UC fiasco
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
There is nothing wrong with zero hours contracts per se. What is required is more accessible information on the current labour market and then much better careers advice so that people can get the training they need to pursue meaningful and lucrative careers rather than drifting through a random degree because they enjoyed it at school and felt uni was the thing to do, and then finding the only employment opportunities are zero hours contract retail jobs.

Same goes to those who need to career change. We need to embed life long learning.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
No, they're not. There are care industries in other countries which employ their workers on a fair basis - and even care workers within the UK who manage fine - and the "flexibility" inevitably leads to worker exploitation. I'm not sure why the British seems to favor that so much.
The government don't pay these sectors enough to have people on full time contracts just in case. I've been a 0 hour worker by choice, I wasn't exploited and I was offered a full time post which I declined. I do think anyone working regular hours should be offered a contract.
Last edited by doodle_333; 3 days ago
AdamCor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I don't think they should be banned. Some people are in a position where a zero hour contract favours both them and the company, for example my mother does hairdressing at people's homes, but she also works a zero hour contract for extra money, she can't always be at the company to do those hours, and the company doesn't always have hours.

And flexibility doesn't inevitably lead to exploitation lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.38%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.25%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.04%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.65%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.19%