should i tell my ex? Watch

ghostories
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
my ex boyfriend and i were together for almost a year. we were each others first everything and were best friends. he broke up with me 2 months ago because he said he wasn’t in love with me anymore. we still talk, and said we’d try to be friends; but it’s been quite difficult so far. things are getting easier though and we’ve started to see each other in groups (ie with other people we both know) which is nice.
recently things have been starting to happen with one of my friends. last night we went to the cinema and he kissed me then we held hands all day etc. although it’s nothing serious yet (we talked about it and are going to take things slow, as we have both recently come out of long term relationships), i think it will be eventually.
should i tell my ex about him? i feel like if we’re ever going to be proper friends we have to be able to trust each other, so i feel that i SHOULD tell him. if it were the other way around i would want to know.
however, i don’t want it to seem like i’m just telling him to boast or try and “get one over” on him. if i don’t tell him he will find out from someone else or see us together (we have a lot of the same friends) and i would hate for him to have to find out that way.
should i tell him? how should i go about it?
thank you
(sorry about such an essay of a post!)
Boo_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If he was the one who broke up with you then how would telling him be you trying to 'get one over' on him... If hes not in love with you then he has no right to say he is bothered about you seeing someone else.

I don't think you should tell him, don't make it out to be too much of a big deal - you used to be together, now you're not, so who you see and what you do with them now shouldn't bother either of you and you are not required to inform one another. Also wouldn't it be so so awkward? I'm not saying to keep it a secret - don't purposely sto[p him from finding out, but don't purposely stride up to him or acll him and tell him.

Jackathon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He has no need to know, I don't think it will help your situation.
ghostories
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Boo_2)
If he was the one who broke up with you then how would telling him be you trying to 'get one over' on him... If hes not in love with you then he has no right to say he is bothered about you seeing someone else.

I don't think you should tell him, don't make it out to be too much of a big deal - you used to be together, now you're not, so who you see and what you do with them now shouldn't bother either of you and you are not required to inform one another. Also wouldn't it be so so awkward? I'm not saying to keep it a secret - don't purposely sto[p him from finding out, but don't purposely stride up to him or acll him and tell him.

yeah you're probably right. i'm just imagining this incredibly awkward situation where he sees us together and didn't even know anything was going on. but i guess that's his problem not mine? it's not like i owe him any kind of explanation or anything like that.
thank you
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
i wouldnt bother unless he brings it up. it gains nothing
Drexl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Make him watch a Tarantino film.
zav
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dh00001)
i wouldnt bother unless he brings it up. it gains nothing
I agree only tell him if he asks you. Might make you look like your still into him if you tell him for no reason.
Pink_Chocolate xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As other posts say, there's no point in telling him
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
your motives do confuse me, why the heck would you want to tell him, it looks like u aint over him, he wouldnt go out his way to tell you, he'll find out with due time
Redemption
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Boo_2)
If hes not in love with you then he has no right to say he is bothered about you seeing someone else.
Because life is binary. Ohwait.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As someone said further up what the hell are you going to gain by telling him this?
Boo_2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Redemption)
Because life is binary. Ohwait.
Its true!! If someone tells you that they don't have feelings for you anymore then why should they still have magical rights over you which mean that you must tell them who you are seeing and what you are doing?
Redemption
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Boo_2)
Its true!! If someone tells you that they don't have feelings for you anymore then why should they still have magical rights over you which mean that you must tell them who you are seeing and what you are doing?
Because everyone knows themselves and their own emotions exactly at this age, don't they.

Because love is binary, isn't it. It's just on or off, no range of emotions.

It's not magical rights.

But you really shouldn't tell him unless he asks.

Its one of those things in life you think you want to know, but you really don't.
Boo_2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Redemption)
Because everyone knows themselves and their own emotions exactly at this age, don't they.

Because love is binary, isn't it. It's just on or off, no range of emotions.

It's not magical rights.

But you really shouldn't tell him unless he asks.

Its one of those things in life you think you want to know, but you really don't.
Well I am of the opinion that if someone dumps you, you have every right to do whatever the hell you want with other people, they have no hold on you anymore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads