The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Guessing nobody knows then??
Well there are several.

I guess the top dog is the DUIS (Department of Universities, Innovation and Skills) this is a government department headed up by a minister. Actually the top dog is the treasury.

HEFCE - higher education funding council of England - administers funding for teaching and some research withing the HE sector in england and wales.

SFC - scottish funding council - as above but for scotland.

QAA - quality assurance agencty for higher education - monitor standards in teaching and other academic provision within the sector and also I think financial health. Conduct periodic reviews.

RCUK - Research councils UK - fund the majority of research in universities in the UK split into several research councils: arts (AHRC), social science (ESRC), physical sciences and engineering (EPSRC), biological sciences (BBSRC), medical sciences (MRC) and fundamental physics (STFC).

Privy council - responsible for regulating and granting royal charters to universities - its role is largely ceremonial and even more so since the labour government too power.
Reply 3
ChemistBoy
Well there are several.

I guess the top dog is the DUIS (Department of Universities, Innovation and Skills) this is a government department headed up by a minister. Actually the top dog is the treasury.

HEFCE - higher education funding council of England - administers funding for teaching and some research withing the HE sector in england and wales.

SFC - scottish funding council - as above but for scotland.

QAA - quality assurance agencty for higher education - monitor standards in teaching and other academic provision within the sector and also I think financial health. Conduct periodic reviews.

RCUK - Research councils UK - fund the majority of research in universities in the UK split into several research councils: arts (AHRC), social science (ESRC), physical sciences and engineering (EPSRC), biological sciences (BBSRC), medical sciences (MRC) and fundamental physics (STFC).

Privy council - responsible for regulating and granting royal charters to universities - its role is largely ceremonial and even more so since the labour government too power.

You are a complete star! Thankyou!!
Reply 4
Reply 5
bluenoxid

Thank you!
bluenoxid

That's more like an ombudsman rather than a regulatory body though.
Reply 7
Ah true, but I think it is a group that should go into the mix.

Latest

Trending

Trending