Becky7337
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is some sort of govering body that oversees all the universities and higher education colleges in the UK?

Maybe something that checks their standards and that.

Thanks
Becky7337
Rep:
?
Guessing nobody knows then??
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well there are several.

I guess the top dog is the DUIS (Department of Universities, Innovation and Skills) this is a government department headed up by a minister. Actually the top dog is the treasury.

HEFCE - higher education funding council of England - administers funding for teaching and some research withing the HE sector in england and wales.

SFC - scottish funding council - as above but for scotland.

QAA - quality assurance agencty for higher education - monitor standards in teaching and other academic provision within the sector and also I think financial health. Conduct periodic reviews.

RCUK - Research councils UK - fund the majority of research in universities in the UK split into several research councils: arts (AHRC), social science (ESRC), physical sciences and engineering (EPSRC), biological sciences (BBSRC), medical sciences (MRC) and fundamental physics (STFC).

Privy council - responsible for regulating and granting royal charters to universities - its role is largely ceremonial and even more so since the labour government too power.
Becky7337
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Well there are several.

I guess the top dog is the DUIS (Department of Universities, Innovation and Skills) this is a government department headed up by a minister. Actually the top dog is the treasury.

HEFCE - higher education funding council of England - administers funding for teaching and some research withing the HE sector in england and wales.

SFC - scottish funding council - as above but for scotland.

QAA - quality assurance agencty for higher education - monitor standards in teaching and other academic provision within the sector and also I think financial health. Conduct periodic reviews.

RCUK - Research councils UK - fund the majority of research in universities in the UK split into several research councils: arts (AHRC), social science (ESRC), physical sciences and engineering (EPSRC), biological sciences (BBSRC), medical sciences (MRC) and fundamental physics (STFC).

Privy council - responsible for regulating and granting royal charters to universities - its role is largely ceremonial and even more so since the labour government too power.

You are a complete star! Thankyou!!
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is also http://www.oiahe.org.uk/
Becky7337
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluenoxid)
Thank you!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bluenoxid)
That's more like an ombudsman rather than a regulatory body though.
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah true, but I think it is a group that should go into the mix.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads