The Student Room Group

Clearing *HELP ME* Computer games student

So clearing is tomorrow and I’m terrified, I have to choose my university by tomorrow. I have all passes in my coursework and I am waiting on one externally marked exam to be a pass which would mean I have enough points to get in to most of my desired choices.
I want to study something to do with computer games, all my life I have been surrounded by video games and nerd culture and I know that it is what I want to pursue as a career.
I have 4 choices to choose from;
De Montfort (Computer Games Programming)
Manchester Met (Computer Games Technology)
Sheffield Hallam (Games Design and Development) or (Computer Science for Games)
Teesside University (Computer Games Programming)

What is the difference between the courses when they have different names like games technology or games programming, I also want a good social side to the uni experience and to join a lot of clubs and meet new people.

I have no clue which one to choose and i’m hoping you guys could help me out
Original post by hoodieboy
So clearing is tomorrow and I’m terrified, I have to choose my university by tomorrow. I have all passes in my coursework and I am waiting on one externally marked exam to be a pass which would mean I have enough points to get in to most of my desired choices.
I want to study something to do with computer games, all my life I have been surrounded by video games and nerd culture and I know that it is what I want to pursue as a career.

What is the difference between the courses when they have different names like games technology or games programming, I also want a good social side to the uni experience and to join a lot of clubs and meet new people.

I'd suggest ringing all the unis tomorrow, and having a chat to them about their courses and what they can offer you.

You can get as many verbal offers as you want in clearing. You usually get around 24 hours to add an offer to clearing- so you'll have a bit of time to choose between your offers.

Ask which unis can definitely offer accommodation in halls too.

Good luck!
Reply 2
It's pretty confusing bc there are different areas for game design

Programming courses will be built around the code to make stuff work in a game or more towards coding the engine for the game to run on.

Design and development will be more leaning towards the artistic side and making the 2D/3D assets and putting them into a game using existing engines like Unity or Unreal. So you get a more general idea of the varying aspects in these.
Maybe see some of the units covered in each course to see what fits best for you?
Have a look at each of the units within each course to see what you would be studying in more detail.

Even courses with the same name e.g. "English" may vary in content from one university to another.

Consider the course content but at this stage also consider accommodation, location, teaching quality, student satisfaction and industry contacts.

Good luck, let us know which one you decide to go with :-)

Vicki
Original post by hoodieboy

Hi @hoodieboy

Exciting times! How did you get on with ringing unis yesterday? Did you become clearer about the course differences?

If you want to speak to Hallam you can still ring today 0330 024 6390.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks,
Bridget

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending