The Student Room Group

I didn't get the results I needed for Medicine, what should I do?

This is the question I asked myself 7 years ago when I opened my A level results envelope and discovered that my grades were not enough to get in to my conditional offer for undergraduate medicine (I also missed out on my insurance offer for a biomedical science). This was devastating. Despite working to the best of ability, studying for 6-8 hours a day to try and get the A's and A*'s required of me, I fell short of achieving the goal I had been working so hard towards. I felt like I had let everyone down, despite the best efforts of my teachers and friends to console me there was nothing that could make me feel better about what had happened, I left my school feeling confused and unsure of what to do next.

Now, before I make you feel truly dreadful, you should know that I am in my final year of studying Graduate-Entry medicine at Swansea and less than 12 months away from becoming a working F1 doctor. So to anyone who has found themselves on results day in the same position as 18 year-old me I promise that this is a message of hope and optimism. It might be difficult for you to come to terms with right now but you can turn this disappointment into a real opportunity for self-development and growth. Most importantly, just because you have not got into medicine at this point in your life doesn't mean you will never become a doctor. If you have the passion and drive for medicine, and the resilience to pursue your goals regardless of what setbacks you might face, there will always be a pathway to medicine for you.

I had never heard of 'Clearing' before my A-level results day but without it I would not be where I am today. With the help of my parents I phoned around a variety of universities to see what courses - including medicine - still had places available. This was incredibly stressful, particularly because I just couldn't find any courses that sounded like they would suit me. By midday I already had a decent pile of notes about different universities and courses based on info from their websites and from phone conversations, but still nothing that I really fancied.

I loved Biology and Chemistry at A-level, and when I phoned up Swansea and had a chat with the advisor on the phone I was offered the opportunity to take a place in Medical Biochemistry. I met with a tutor from the course a few days later and it just felt right. Not just the course curriculum and the pathways available for studying medicine as a postgrad but the city and university campus as well; it all helped to affirm that this was the place for me to start my university career and I made the decision to accept the clearing offer that day.

Studying Medical Biochemistry for 3 years gave me access to lots of opportunities I might not have had if I had studied undergraduate medicine. I developed an in-depth knowledge of this branch of medical science; which has come in handy multiple times during my medical studies. It also allowed me to explore my interests outside of medicine, including taking up a new sport (and representing my university in it), meeting people from different backgrounds and making friends for life. All of this experience has helped me in my medical studies and, I believe, will make me a more mature and well-rounded doctor in the future.

My pathway to graduate-entry medicine has been massively rewarding. 7 years ago I was devastated that I may have lost my chance of becoming a doctor. With the benefit of hindsight I now realise that this was ultimately the right path for me. I hope that anyone reading this today will realise that there is more than one way to pursue the study of medicine. Stay hopeful, and remember that this disappointment does not need to define your future, it's all up to you.

Good luck! Alex Ruddy (4th year Medical student)
(edited 4 years ago)
i enjoyed this post, especially as I finished my A Levels and am applying for pre-med as well. thank you for sharing!
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
This is the question I asked myself 7 years ago when I opened my A level results envelope and discovered that my grades were not enough to get in to my conditional offer for undergraduate medicine (I also missed out on my insurance offer for a biomedical science). This was devastating. Despite working to the best of ability, studying for 6-8 hours a day to try and get the A's and A*'s required of me, I fell short of achieving the goal I had been working so hard towards. I felt like I had let everyone down, despite the best efforts of my teachers and friends to console me there was nothing that could make me feel better about what had happened, I left my school feeling confused and unsure of what to do next.

Now, before I make you feel truly dreadful, you should know that I am in my final year of studying Graduate-Entry medicine at Swansea and less than 12 months away from becoming a working F1 doctor. So to anyone who has found themselves on results day in the same position as 18 year-old me I promise that this is a message of hope and optimism. It might be difficult for you to come to terms with right now but you can turn this disappointment into a real opportunity for self-development and growth. Most importantly, just because you have not got into medicine at this point in your life doesn't mean you will never become a doctor. If you have the passion and drive for medicine, and the resilience to pursue your goals regardless of what setbacks you might face, there will always be a pathway to medicine for you.

I had never heard of 'Clearing' before my A-level results day but without it I would not be where I am today. With the help of my parents I phoned around a variety of universities to see what courses - including medicine - still had places available. This was incredibly stressful, particularly because I just couldn't find any courses that sounded like they would suit me. By midday I already had a decent pile of notes about different universities and courses based on info from their websites and from phone conversations, but still nothing that I really fancied.

I loved Biology and Chemistry at A-level, and when I phoned up Swansea and had a chat with the advisor on the phone I was offered the opportunity to take a place in Medical Biochemistry. I met with a tutor from the course a few days later and it just felt right. Not just the course curriculum and the pathways available for studying medicine as a postgrad but the city and university campus as well; it all helped to affirm that this was the place for me to start my university career and I made the decision to accept the clearing offer that day.

Studying Medical Biochemistry for 3 years gave me access to lots of opportunities I might not have had if I had studied undergraduate medicine. I developed an in-depth knowledge of this branch of medical science; which has come in handy multiple times during my medical studies. It also allowed me to explore my interests outside of medicine, including taking up a new sport (and representing my university in it), meeting people from different backgrounds and making friends for life. All of this experience has helped me in my medical studies and, I believe, will make me a more mature and well-rounded doctor in the future.

My pathway to graduate-entry medicine has been massively rewarding. 7 years ago I was devastated that I may have lost my chance of becoming a doctor. With the benefit of hindsight I now realise that this was ultimately the right path for me. I hope that anyone reading this today will realise that there is more than one way to pursue the study of medicine. Stay hopeful, and remember that this disappointment does not need to define your future, it's all up to you.

Good luck! Alex Ruddy (4th year Medical student)

how did you cope with funding for your graduate medicine degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending