Phoning up your university on results day to beg for a place! Watch

southernlight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Like Milady de Winter said, you MUST phone if you don't get the results you need (fingers crossed that you will!). I also missed my results but my Music teacher phoned up and they said they'd take me anyway! So it does sometimes work. Not always, but it's always worth a shot
Thanks guys for that That's a lot more reassuring. The Earth Sciences Tutor was saying to me how Exeter College wouldn't take anyone if they missed their offer, so maybe she was just trying to scare me?
laura_180
Report 11 years ago
Random question, but if you miss your offer & have to ring up and ask, do you lose your accommodation?
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by laura_180)
Random question, but if you miss your offer & have to ring up and ask, do you lose your accommodation?
I'm not really sure, but my letter from Manchester said that my accomodation would be confirmed after I had recieved confirmation that I had a place, so I think they sort accomodation out after the course is full, so I don't think it will affect it. However, it may be different at other Uni's or I may just be completley wrong anway!!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Probably not, but that will depend on your unis. I've never heard of such a policy, but I guess if they were being really mean they could say you can't have accommodation if you've been accepted to a different course. Most unis say if you put them as your firm you are guaranteed accommodation (if they say anything like that at all) so it should be ok.

:juno:
elj
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lolcat)
Right, I have a dilemma now folks

I didn't put down Attention Deficit Disorder on my UCAS application but it's really started to impact me badly these past few months. I have an offer from Durham for BBB, but it's more likely that I'll get BBC/BCC. Can I use ADD as a card when I'm begging or would they say that because I didn't state it on my application, they can't do anything about it? I was thinking about saying the diagnosis only came through recently, but that'd be lying and if they found out it'd be points against me. What should I do?
DUSSD, the Disability Service at Durham, are extremely helpful. Don't lie and say the diagnosis only came through (I'm assuming you have a diagnosis) - say you didn't put it on your UCAS application because you didn't think it'd be too much of an issue, but it's got substantially worse recently (maybe due to exam stress?)

I reckon your best port of call would be to ring DUSSD (contact details are on http://www.dur.ac.uk/dussd/), and they'll tell you who to speak to in your department.

Hope this helps.
Jaager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ive applied for a politics and international relations course, and im doing a two week placement with my MEP in july, so if i miss my grades, would they look favourably on like your background and what youve done outside of just A-levels...

Im thinking of saying how "politics is really really important to me, ive been involved in local campaigns since i was really young, and ive done a placement with an MEP and blah blah blah...." hopefully that will work!
JayneDoe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm dreading having to do this.. I know I messed up and didn't get an A in english which they both want.. prob only got 1 out of 3 grades (hopefully more!) My insurance course is joint honours with English and if I beg and they say no could I ask if they will accept me onto the American Studies half as single honours which is a lower grade.. Or is that a bit cheeky? Also will the insurance be less likely to offer a place because they are the insurance? I have no chance of getting into Warwick (firm) through begging!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't lose mine! In fact, I got a kitchen, which is what I asked for! (Most first-years don't get a kitchen in my college)
xPipkinx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
would you all say i'd need to let the uni know about this little mishap that i had asap? it happened in an exam the other day and is currently trying to be resolved by my exams officer
basically i wrote the wrong number down on the front on my booklet and next to the question in an exam so could quite possibly get no marks atall since they may think i've answered it in the wrong way. (i answered number 5 but put number 6 down which was a completely different question)
the exams officer said it would be fine and they should realise but now i've found out that he has wrote a letter to the exam board =S
should i let the uni know about this? if the marker of my test isnt very nice they could give me 0 marks for the question which was actually 40 marks argh. this could mean i miss my grade =[
any advice would be greatly appreciated!
JayneDoe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm pretty sure the examiner will use their common sense, especially if it is obvious which question you answered, like if a, was describe the jewish approach to war and b, how flexible is the jewish approach to abortion then they will have a good idea what you meant to answer from the content (sorry random example there - r.s on the mind!) Now that the exams officer has written to the exam board then they may re-check if they see you have been marked as 0 marks. I think you should only let your uni know if this is an issue once you get your results, but if you want to make sure i'm sure it wont hurt - just might seem a little eager or something.. I'm sure it will be fine
History Lost in Physics
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Crystaltears)
I know quite a few people are thinking they may have to do this, myself included, so I was just wondering what kind of things do you have to say to persuade them?
Tell them someone in your family died - that has worked for some people (though it may actually be that someone in their family HAS died)
arpeggio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Right I'm going to write out my little speech. Do you think it's worth saying I didn't resit any modules for anything? I don't know if that'd count for much. I don't know about mentioning work experience etc either as that's all in my personal statement... maybe it'd be better to concentrate on how much you'd love to go there, what you're looking forward to about their specific course and how you only missed your grade by X marks?
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by arpeggio)
I don't know about mentioning work experience etc either as that's all in my personal statement... maybe it'd be better to concentrate on how much you'd love to go there, what you're looking forward to about their specific course and how you only missed your grade by X marks?
I'm not sure whether they will have your personal statement on hand at the time, so it's probably a good idea to drop it in.
Yeah, say why you really want to go and how close you were etc.
JayneDoe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I spoke to someone today (actually it was someones mum) who rang up last year on behalf of her son - as if my parents would ever do that for me! Anyway, she was really forceful and persuaded them to re-read his personal statement and the uni called back and he got the place! - After initially saying no when he rang himself.. I don't think I can be 'forceful' on the phone!
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Crystaltears)
I'm not sure whether they will have your personal statement on hand at the time, so it's probably a good idea to drop it in.
Yeah, say why you really want to go and how close you were etc.
But what if im not close to the grades i need? :-(
I think im gonna have to beg quite alot.
If they reject me, would it be worth mentioning how they gave someone i have spoken to an unconditional offer when they got 240 points from 3 A levels and the uni ask for 300 points?
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by blondyx)
But what if im not close to the grades i need? :-(
I think im gonna have to beg quite alot.
If they reject me, would it be worth mentioning how they gave someone i have spoken to an unconditional offer when they got 240 points from 3 A levels and the uni ask for 300 points?
No, that will make you sound pathetic.

:juno:
xPipkinx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JayneDoe)
I'm pretty sure the examiner will use their common sense, especially if it is obvious which question you answered, like if a, was describe the jewish approach to war and b, how flexible is the jewish approach to abortion then they will have a good idea what you meant to answer from the content (sorry random example there - r.s on the mind!) Now that the exams officer has written to the exam board then they may re-check if they see you have been marked as 0 marks. I think you should only let your uni know if this is an issue once you get your results, but if you want to make sure i'm sure it wont hurt - just might seem a little eager or something.. I'm sure it will be fine
thanks for the reply, i'm hoping they do realise its the wrong number, what a silly mistake to make lol, still kicking myself!
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xPipkinx)
thanks for the reply, i'm hoping they do realise its the wrong number, what a silly mistake to make lol, still kicking myself!
They will honestly, I've done the same thing before, and its been fine.
EvenStevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'll have no idea what to say to be honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads