Mariam_009
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. I was thinking of changing my degree to start computer science this September. I was looking online and I've seen that pages recommended laptops which are so expensive (for me since I'm broke ) going from £500 to maybe £1k. I was hoping actual computer science students could recommend some cheap and good laptops like ranging from £100 if possible to £350. And if it's worth it spending a lot of money on a computer.

Thank you
Last edited by Mariam_009; 1 year ago
computer_noob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mariam_009)
Hi. I was thinking of changing my degree to start computer science this September. I was looking online and I've seen that pages recommended laptops which are so expensive (for me since I'm broke ) going from £500 to maybe £1k. I was hoping actual computer science students could recommend some cheap and good laptops like ranging from £100 if possible to £350. And if it's worth it spending a lot of money on a computer.

Thank you
bump
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
400-500 is possible but 350 is a stretch
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Theres no such thing as laptop for computer science. Even a chrome book will take you through the degree with online IDE's. Literally any laptop with 8gb ram+ will work. Install linux on it if possible.
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bigboateng_)
Theres no such thing as laptop for computer science. Even a chrome book will take you through the degree with online IDE's. Literally any laptop with 8gb ram+ will work. Install linux on it if possible.
😂😂Chromebooks wont work, a lot of ides dont support its os and most of them dont have a 1tb of storage
1-9-9-9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
u dont need to buy an expensive laptop for a computer science degree i made this same mistake, literally most laptops will do
Mariam_009
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 1-9-9-9)
u dont need to buy an expensive laptop for a computer science degree i made this same mistake, literally most laptops will do
Okay. I was worried for nothing

Thank you so much
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Paolo3100)
😂😂Chromebooks wont work, a lot of ides dont support its os and most of them dont have a 1tb of storage
Ofcos if you can get something better than chrome book then you should. But its still viable, you just have to use browser based dev environments such as cloud9.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads