The Student Room Group

PTSD

Scroll to see replies

You may find that certain triggers bring on PTSD, for example in a DV home the children will be particularly scared of loud noises, fear of objects being thrown, arguments etc.. trigger points can bring on anxiety and stress
PTSD is where you have experienced an event in which you believed that you were going to or probably going to die.

Guided imagery is a good kind of therapy to help PTSD
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, speaking as somebody with anxiety and who has been through something that causes/caused me a lot of anxiety but does not have PTSD (I don't think, anyway.) I think that for me personally, my "thing" (which wasn't overly bad, I have only ever heard of it being after something serious, like death or ab*se etc.) caused my anxiety to worsen significantly because there were elements of it that drew on pre-existing anxieties that I'd had for several years beforehand, and then multiply them by a thousand (I'm not exaggerating.) Everybody who experiences anxiety disorders will have events that feed into them, the same way that I can pinpoint things that people have said/done or things that happened that led to my eating disorder. I think the difference between having something that worsened your anxiety and having PTSD is in how you respond to it. Do you find it difficult to talk about, or get anxious when you think about that specific moment, or flashbacks or nightmares? So, I find my "thing" difficult to talk about and very few people know what happened, and it sometimes makes me anxious (so, right now, I'm thinking about it - I feel a little anxious but not panic attack level or anything), but I've never had nightmares or flashbacks relating to it. Although, being in situations similar to it often sends me into a (near or full) panic attack. This is making it sound a lot more like PTSD than it is. I just think of it as a thing that impacted me. Ultimately, only a doctor can diagnose you, but it depends on how debilitating (which it isn't for me) it is as to whether it is a part of your anxiety or a separate diagnosis.

I find my issue difficult to talk about, and I get flashbacks/anxiety daily about it - these constant flashbacks are making me feel like it's PTSD rather than my anxiety, but as people have said on here, diagnosing myself isn't the best idea.
Original post by Anonymous
I find my issue difficult to talk about, and I get flashbacks/anxiety daily about it - these constant flashbacks are making me feel like it's PTSD rather than my anxiety, but as people have said on here, diagnosing myself isn't the best idea.

Self-diagnosis is definitely not the best option but flashbacks are also the biggest signpost for PTSD. I was never formally diagnosed with anorexia (for a variety of reasons) despite receiving treatment for it and that doesn't make my experience any less invalid or less deserving of help. You need a diagnosis to receive help on the NHS though.
Hi, I know it is hard I have ptsd from lots of different incidents/events. In fact looking through notes and a report I have found the list for it. I need to find it. I actually feel like I’m in a mad film. In the past used to watch them until you feel you are in it. Also did a course and body scan can be good also Edmr and or creative therapies. Obviously it’s personal and everyone different. I actually think a lot of trauma and ptsd in society. Have not found anyone sympathetic about it: Am considering more training to help me and others.

Quick Reply

Latest