Local surgery won't let me have a blood test Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So my iron levels were identified as being very low whilst I was at university in the north, so the doctor prescribed me iron tablets for two months. I have a week's supply left and I'm supposed to have a blood test to ascertain if they helped or not. Except I live in the south and am registered at my university health practice in the north. I called my local doctor, who said they only treat people not registered if it's an emergency. I called the doctors I'm registered with who said I can just become a temporary patient at my local doctors, have a doctor's appointment and my doctor will recommend a blood test. But I'm thinking, surely my local doctors would have just suggested that the first time I called them? It sounds stupid but I'm kind of scared to call again in case they just say the same thing again.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my iron levels were identified as being very low whilst I was at university in the north, so the doctor prescribed me iron tablets for two months. I have a week's supply left and I'm supposed to have a blood test to ascertain if they helped or not. Except I live in the south and am registered at my university health practice in the north. I called my local doctor, who said they only treat people not registered if it's an emergency. I called the doctors I'm registered with who said I can just become a temporary patient at my local doctors, have a doctor's appointment and my doctor will recommend a blood test. But I'm thinking, surely my local doctors would have just suggested that the first time I called them? It sounds stupid but I'm kind of scared to call again in case they just say the same thing again.
Some practices are oversubscribed and will not take on new patients so maybe that's why they didn't mention it. Also, registering as a temporary resident requires processing paperwork so maybe they didn't want to create more work for themselves. Just contact them again and ask. Or just wait until you go back to your usual GP - surely it will just be a few more weeks before you go back?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But I'm thinking, surely my local doctors would have just suggested that the first time I called them?
Not necessarily. Some people are lazy. Some people are stupid.

Here is some info https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...ent-with-a-gp/

Call them again - worst case is that they say no again... in which case you've lost nothing, right? In life: you don't lose anything by asking, you lose A LOT by not asking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%