john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am an engineering student who is thinking a career in finance or middle/back office in an IB would be a good alternative to an career in engineering. I know you can get into investment banks with an engineering degee, but what about jobs in finance (I don't have anything specific in mind), would companies still recruit engineers for these jobs? Also, how much does the prestige of university matter for middle/back office IB or finance careers? Would a degree from uni of Manchester give a better chance of one of these roles than the uni of leeds? Or would it not matter? Thanks
sanjsk03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
By finance what do you mean Accountancy, Financial advisor, consutlant?
To be an accountant you can get a training contract with most firms, whereby the firm will pay for you to study ACA (audit focused) or even in industry for CIMA (management accounting) sometimes even ACCA or ATT (level 3 and 4) then CTA (Tax).

Accountancy firms also offer placements - some firms offer rotations in accounts, tax, audit and other areas of finance.

I don't know enough about IFA or CFA etc to comment on financial advisory.
john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sanjsk03)
By finance what do you mean Accountancy, Financial advisor, consutlant?
To be an accountant you can get a training contract with most firms, whereby the firm will pay for you to study ACA (audit focused) or even in industry for CIMA (management accounting) sometimes even ACCA or ATT (level 3 and 4) then CTA (Tax).

Accountancy firms also offer placements - some firms offer rotations in accounts, tax, audit and other areas of finance.

I don't know enough about IFA or CFA etc to comment on financial advisory.
I don't have a specific job in mind. I would just like to know if its likely for engineers from. Regular universities to get into the financial sector, like consulting or an analyst role. At a push, middle and back office of an IB. I left my engineering degree at Bristol (who I know companies do like to hire at IB) for engineering at either Manchester or Leeds. I have started to have a mini panic attack when. Looking online and seeing the not so great progression for engineering. Before it was fine as I always had the comfort of IB targeting bristol but now I Realise that they don't target unis like Manchester and Leeds and I am worried about my graduate prospects. Its clearing and I'm in half a mind to switch universities. I would've gone back to Bristol but I failed 1 unit and the retake is in 1 week which I haven't revised for so that is off the cards.

Edit: When I speak of a finance job I mean a job outside of engineering which would put my numerical and analytical skills to good use, preferably in a big company. Pay wise to be paid better than an engineer and have a good salary (not as much as an investment banker but good) and to work pretty regular office hours mabye abit more but nothing crazy
Last edited by john_iqbal786; 4 weeks ago
Kimlek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Manchester & Leeds are both RG and respected. Maybe you should switch your degree to a financial one rather than continuing with you engineering degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (187)
23.94%
Pop (191)
24.46%
Jazz (30)
3.84%
Classical (46)
5.89%
Hip-Hop (147)
18.82%