The Student Room Group

Moving into halls but have no money to buy essentials.

Hi all, I’m moving into the university halls in September but, I have no money to buy my essentials for when I move out and family don’t really want to help me.

What should I do? I’m pretty scared about moving out as it is already. Never had the opportunity to. I finally have the chance now at the age of 27 but I, can’t support myself. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Original post by DazzaHatty
Hi all, I’m moving into the university halls in September but, I have no money to buy my essentials for when I move out and family don’t really want to help me.

What should I do? I’m pretty scared about moving out as it is already. Never had the opportunity to. I finally have the chance now at the age of 27 but I, can’t support myself. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Have you looked at applying for jobs now and while you’re at uni? Maybe finding a part time job now can help pay for the things you need now. Maybe apply for university grants, look at what help Student Finance can but these last two options may not pay out immediately.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by I'mPooPoo
Have you looked at applying for jobs now and while you’re at uni? Maybe finding a part time job now can help pay for the things you need now. Maybe apply for university grants, look at what help Student Finance can but these last two options may not pay out immediately.

I’ve applied for a number of jobs all summer. I updated my CV after completing Foundation Year and ask one of the lecturers to proof read it if they had the time. They proof read it and they said it was very good. Uploaded it to CV library, Indeed and total jobs applied for a fair few part time jobs on there in the field I have experience and currently studying but, zero responses. I went to my bank upgraded my account to have an overdraft. I could use it to buy the things I need but, then I’ll have no way if paying it back then I’m in poo street with my bank. I’m pretty much screwed which ever way I try.
I’ve applied for a number of jobs all summer. I updated my CV after completing Foundation Year and ask one of the lecturers to proof read it if they had the time. They proof read it and they said it was very good. Uploaded it to CV library, Indeed and total jobs applied for a fair few part time jobs on there in the field I have experience and currently studying but, zero responses. I went to my bank upgraded my account to have an overdraft. I could use it to buy the things I need but, then I’ll have no way if paying it back then I’m in poo street with my bank. I’m pretty much screwed which ever way I try.

Use the overdraft.

Do you get a maintenance loan? That will clear some, if not all of it when it comes in.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Use the overdraft.

Do you get a maintenance loan? That will clear some, if not all of it when it comes in.

Yes, I do get a maintenance loan. I’ve worked out though that it only equates to about £50 per week until the next lump comes in after Christmas. I think I’m pretty much guaranteed to struggle. I think you’re right though. I should use my overdraft. What’s your opinion on using UniKitOut.com?

Yeah unfortunately it’s the climate we live in today where jobs are harder to secure then before. If your CV is fine then your best bet is to keep applying to all sorts of jobs not just relative to your field. An example could be retail which is the type of jobs most students go for. It provides flexibility to keep focus around your studies. I know it seems like you are stuck and you have no way to get out but try to keep positive. It’s a lot easier for me to say that and harder for you to do but it’s the best way to get though it.
I hadn’t heard of unikitout.com until now but having had a look, it doesn’t seem particularly good value for the most part - although it looks as though they have some nice things.

Pillows on thar site are £8, I bought some yesterday from M&S for £6... Lamps, coathangers etc. all look pretty averagely priced so I suppose that’s entirely a matter for you and your budget. You could probably get most of those things a bit cheaper if it came to it ☺️
Yes, I do get a maintenance loan. I’ve worked out though that it only equates to about £50 per week until the next lump comes in after Christmas. I think I’m pretty much guaranteed to struggle. I think you’re right though. I should use my overdraft. What’s your opinion on using UniKitOut.com?

Unikitout is very expensive. Go second hand. Charity shops will provide virtually everything at a great price. Can you not take stuff from home
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Unikitout is very expensive. Go second hand. Charity shops will provide virtually everything at a great price. Can you not take stuff from home

I’ve asked my family that but, anything and everything I mention they want. (Even spare irons that haven’t been used in years) When I say my family don’t want to support me they honestly don’t. Charity shops though does sound like a good idea! Thank you for that. It shouldn’t set me back too much on my overdraft either! I do appreciate it! Thank you 🙂
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Squeaky squirrel you beat me to it. Also ask relations lots of people have pots and pans etc going spare. I would also check with uni to see what is provided. We bought stuff and did not need it like lamps matress protector. Just grab a quilt cover, quilt and some pillows and towels. Rest charity shop.
Hi,

Take stuff from home or why not ask on Facebook local selling sites in your area of study if anyone can help with what you need and tell them why like you have on here. Some people might have things they just want rid of and will give it to you for free if you can pick it up. It might not be the best make or style but it’s a start and better than nothing.
Original post by ilovelearning17
Hi,

Take stuff from home or why not ask on Facebook local selling sites in your area of study if anyone can help with what you need and tell them why like you have on here. Some people might have things they just want rid of and will give it to you for free if you can pick it up. It might not be the best make or style but it’s a start and better than nothing.

This is why I love forums! The helpful suggestions is never ending, thank you so much. I now have many options I didn’t even consider. Auntie’s and uncles didn’t even enter my brain once. I was so preoccupied with my own close family not really caring to be completely oblivious that they’ll probably help me. Charity shops and Facebook selling sites again are incredible suggestions. I appreciate all of it. Thanks all of you 🙂
Good luck, keep us updated, it would be good to know how you get on.

Have you applied to maccies? I know it’s not a dream job but they’ll take on literally anyone and it’s steady pay

If you're moving in to halls with all the utility bills included and assuming you have no extra costs, fifty pounds a week should be enough to cover essentials. If you need to buy bedding and some crockery etc., you could go in to your overdraft a little and pay it back slowly with your maintenance loan. If you shop wisely and avoid going out for food/drinks until you get a part-time job, you should be fine, no?
Are there any grants or bursaries at your uni you could apply for?

Also try freecycle or freegle - someone may be giving away something you need just at the right time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending