Want to study Physics at Cambridge? What is Natural Sciences? Watch

mvphoebe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
The whole Cambridge website is confusing me.
Can I apply SPECIFICALLY for Straight Physics through Natural Sciences without having to take any other modules such as Chemistry or Biology?
GreenDeath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mvphoebe)
Can I apply SPECIFICALLY for Straight Physics through Natural Sciences without having to take any other modules such as Chemistry or Biology?
Have a look at the course outline at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....tural-sciences

First year you choose 3 experimental sciences out of:
Biology of Cells
Chemistry
Earth Sciences
Evolution and Behaviour
Materials Science
Physics
Physiology of Organisms

and then choose either mathematics A or B, B being chosen for people doing further maths usually with marks in the range of 95% - 100%, so you have to be really good. If you wanted to go completely physical first year you would pick 3 from Earth sciences, physics, material sciences and chemistry. I was told by a Cambridge Director of Studies that you should remember that material science and earth science are designed to continue from A-levels so don't be scared if you haven't specifically been exposed to these subjects in particular. I also got advice that if you have a preference for physics over chemistry, then you should go for Physics with Material and Earth Sciences and not take Chemistry and vice versa for a chemistry preference first year.
Last edited by GreenDeath; 4 days ago
aesthete1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
hi the above reply covers it, but if you want any more info feel free to pm me, i have just finished first year phys natsci. in short, no in first year you must take three sciences, but from second year you can be doing entirely physics (plus maths). personally i see the breadth of fist year as a HUGE benefit of the course, definitely doesn't disadvantage you compared to straight physics courses at other unis
GreenDeath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by aesthete1)
hi the above reply covers it, but if you want any more info feel free to pm me, i have just finished first year phys natsci. in short, no in first year you must take three sciences, but from second year you can be doing entirely physics (plus maths). personally i see the breadth of fist year as a HUGE benefit of the course, definitely doesn't disadvantage you compared to straight physics courses at other unis
Hey I got an offer for Emmanuel college for natsci waiting for results day now. Out of interest what did you choose first year, any regrets? Thanks.
aesthete1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by GreenDeath)
Hey I got an offer for Emmanuel college for natsci waiting for results day now. Out of interest what did you choose first year, any regrets? Thanks.
i started wanting to take physics in the long run, this year i did physics, earth, evolution and behaviour and maths B. i chose e&b over chem very much at the last minute just to try something completely new and didnt regret it at all, it was incredibly interesting, opened a whole new branch of science to me and it didnt matter at all that i hadn't done biology a level. the one i would very heavily recommend though is earth sciences, the first year lecturers are incredible, the course is interesting but not too challenging, the department is the most friendly and welcoming i've come across and it tends to be enjoyed by everyone who takes it even if they don't continue with it. i myself am now planning to take it in second and third year. physics and maths were both fine, ended up not being where my passion lay but definitely engaging and challenging courses, though tbh a few of the first year physics lecturers were not that great. for maths i appreciated taking maths B as the extra content covered suited me more than some of the core content and i ended up answering those questions in the exam but i definitely dont think its the best choice for most people unless you really like maths and have strong A*s in maths and fm and have had to do very little work to understand maths up to this point, it really isnt necessary to do the B course

i think you can get on fine with any combination of first year subjects but yeah would definitely tip earth sciences as a very worthy option

best of luck for results day!
Last edited by aesthete1; 4 days ago
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mvphoebe)
Just to add to the confusion (!) the other option to "avoid" non-Physics modules is the Maths with Physics course: (pdf)
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergra...th_physics.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (15)
17.05%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
14.77%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (21)
23.86%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (32)
36.36%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.14%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.82%