Studying in a different language

Watch
Anonymous469
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone,
I have been interested for a while about German unis and would like to join one in the future as an undergraduate but I have a slight worry which is after studying in German and understanding the terminology in that language as an undergraduate I then try to join an English uni as a postgraduate. So do you think I should follow through with my plans or just forget about German unis as a whole?

A side note: I believe that the German unis I would like to enter do not offer courses in english.

Thank you
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous469)
Hello everyone,
I have been interested for a while about German unis and would like to join one in the future as an undergraduate but I have a slight worry which is after studying in German and understanding the terminology in that language as an undergraduate I then try to join an English uni as a postgraduate. So do you think I should follow through with my plans or just forget about German unis as a whole?

A side note: I believe that the German unis I would like to enter do not offer courses in english.

Thank you
Are you a fluent German speaker, Anon? German unis will require you to show your competence in written and spoken German, just as British unis require you to show that competence in English.

It depends on the subject, but getting to grips with the terminology of your subject in German shouldn't be a problem if you have a general understanding of the language already. What is your field of research?
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
German universities offer degrees in English.
Anonymous469
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
Are you a fluent German speaker, Anon? German unis will require you to show your competence in written and spoken German, just as British unis require you to show that competence in English.

It depends on the subject, but getting to grips with the terminology of your subject in German shouldn't be a problem if you have a general understanding of the language already. What is your field of research?
Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I know close to nothing about the language and I am going to uni next year and still have to do my a levels and that is the problem...
Anonymous469
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
German universities offer degrees in English.
Sorry for the late reply but when I look at most science-based undergraduate degrees it is usually in german.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Perhaps it would be best for you to consider an English-medium university, Anon? I don't understand why you would want to consider German-medium when you do not know the language.
Anonymous469
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
Perhaps it would be best for you to consider an English-medium university, Anon? I don't understand why you would want to consider German-medium when you do not know the language.
I am currently not sure if I should go for a German course or not with the workload I said earlier so I wanted to sort out the disadvantages and check if German courses are worth the risk. After all I will have to divide my time per subject even more so I can start learning german. That's why I wanted to hear the thoughts of people who went through the same issue.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I highly doubt you'd be able to study a degree in German-medium without knowing a lick of German... The good thing is that some universities in Germany offer degrees via English-medium.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads