crystal32
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am very conflicted about what sixth form I should go to.I have 3 options:a grammar school which is 1 hour away but has good results,my current state school which results aren’t the best for a levels but I feel comfortable there.There is also a reward for staying if you get good grades and another state school which has good grades and is close but less intense than a grammar school.I want to do biology,chemistry and maths for a level.
My current school has AAB score of 4.5%,the other state school has a score of 33.9% and the grammar school has a score of 45.5%.
Last edited by crystal32; 1 year ago
riekeleah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With sixth form, a lot of people end up moving. If you move to one of these other schools, you won’t be alone in being new. You get used to the new school quickly, sixth form goes so quickly before you know it you’ll be off to uni.

In terms of what one go to go, it really depends what course you want to do at university. If you want to do a medical or veterinary degree, I would recommend the grammar school as a lot of people in grammar schools apply for these courses, so you get better support as the schools are used to these kinds of applications (they work slightly differently to other courses, have to be in earlier etc.). If you want to go for a med/vet degree, go for the grammar school. Any other degree, the state schools will be fine.

To pick between the state schools, it depends on your work ethic. Staying at the 4.5% one means that you’ll need to put in extra work at home to make sure you know all the content for your courses well enough to get the AAB, whereas the other state school you won’t. The difference between the two is probably due to funding and teaching quality.

If I were you, I wouldn’t stay at the 4.5% one. It’s not worth sacrificing your future prospects for the sake of being comfortable. In all likelihood, you’ll feel comfortable in the new school within a few weeks.

Hope this helps !
username3966000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An hour away? No way. Yes the grammar school may be good but by being 1 hour away means waking up early, feeling tired during studies which may result in less motivation to go to school and actually study. It's not a good idea trust me.

Personally, I would go for the other state school. If your school rewards you for getting good grades, it's a sign that they're desperate for good reputation and that's not a good sign. And 33.9% AAB compared to 4.5%? There's really no debate here.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by crystal32)
I am very conflicted about what sixth form I should go to.I have 3 options:a grammar school which is 1 hour away but has good results,my current state school which results aren’t the best for a levels but I feel comfortable there.There is also a reward for staying if you get good grades and another state school which has good grades and is close but less intense than a grammar school.I want to do biology,chemistry and maths for a level.
My current school has AAB score of 4.5%,the other state school has a score of 33.9% and the grammar school has a score of 45.5%.
Its 2 years, go to the grammar school.

Its an opportunity that genuinely make a difference in your future, better school now, potentially better Uni in 2 years, potentially better graduate job....

Does it mean you'll definitely do better, no. But its clearly a significant factor its 1 hour travel you'll get used to it and its only 2 years. And you can still see your school mates in weekends and sometimes mid-week etc.
statsboi2002
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mnot)
Its 2 years, go to the grammar school.

Its an opportunity that genuinely make a difference in your future, better school now, potentially better Uni in 2 years, potentially better graduate job....

Does it mean you'll definitely do better, no. But its clearly a significant factor its 1 hour travel you'll get used to it and its only 2 years. And you can still see your school mates in weekends and sometimes mid-week etc.
I agree with this. An hour is nothing. My commute to college is an hour and the better opportunities are 100% worth it, and I'm glad I didn't go to my ****ty local one.
Precious1232
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
U should stay cuz if u r egar to do well, the sky is your limit.
Just because other people's track record hasn't gone according to plan , doesn't mean your dedication and hardwork won't get u the results, afterall its u that is taking the exam not the teachers.
Last edited by Precious1232; 1 year ago
Precious1232
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
U should stay cuz if u r egar to do well, the sky is your limit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.95%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.29%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (88)
10.9%
Financial worries (54)
6.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.1%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.54%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.93%

Watched Threads