Serious life advice: how not to end up like 'This Way Up' characters? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Okay I've just been watching 'This Way Up' series (it's only 6 episodes so far) and the reality is very much set in 2019. All I see is overworked singles renting apartments on their own with lots of issues unable to express themselves as each of the characters puts on the mask for others to appear as though they are successful.

My question is: how to not end up like these characters and actually be happy? Before going to university, I thought it was easy, but right now I am already in my mid-20s, time flies by really quickly and I can realistically imagine myself like those characters in a couple of years (5-6 years from now on actually) in a big city like London living a very similar lifestyle. I don't know what I want but I know for a fact that I want something else.
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay I've just been watching 'This Way Up' series (it's only 6 episodes so far) and the reality is very much set in 2019. All I see is overworked singles renting apartments on their own with lots of issues unable to express themselves as each of the characters puts on the mask for others to appear as though they are successful.

My question is: how to not end up like these characters and actually be happy? Before going to university, I thought it was easy, but right now I am already in my mid-20s, time flies by really quickly and I can realistically imagine myself like those characters in a couple of years (5-6 years from now on actually) in a big city like London living a very similar lifestyle. I don't know what I want but I know for a fact that I want something else.
I think it can really depend on what sort of start in life people have. E.g. if they are financially stable from help from family they can work a bit less and have more time to enjoy life. But also how driven someone is to get what they want, for example to have the confidence to retrain or do another degree if needed. That could be difficult if you don't know what you want. Have you already graduated and are working? Do you have any particular interests or passions?

Do you really want to live in London? Other cities have a lot to offer too and have a lower cost of living.

As well as work - making the most of the free time you do have is important, and doing what you can to enjoy it. That might be spending time with family, travelling (doesn't have to be expensive) etc.

Basically, it's hard for us (as strangers) to say what is best for you to do if you don't know. Take some time to think about what direction you want your life to go in. You seem to know what you don't want, but not want you do want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%