Aerospace Engineering job propsects Watch

Blue Sweater
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I just finished year 13 and have taken A levels in Maths, Physics and Further Maths, I currently hold an offer to study Aerospace at QMUL and am expecting ABB/BBB

My question is, how are the job prospects for Aerospace engineering? I've heard mixed views, some saying there are lots of oppurtunities and prospects while others say its better to go for something like Mechanical/Electrical engineering.

I'm not sure what job I want in the future so I'd like to keep my options open. I'm not sure if even want to a career in engineering tbh, I might look into finance, but Aerospace seems interesting to study.

Also, what are some good unis targeted by Aerospace companies? Incase I go into clearing. Is QMUL a good uni for that?
Last edited by Blue Sweater; 6 days ago
zootzoot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Blue Sweater)
I just finished year 13 and have taken A levels in Maths, Physics and Further Maths, I currently hold an offer to study Aerospace at QMUL and am expecting ABB/BBB.

My question is, how are the job prospects for Aerospace engineering? I've heard mixed views, some saying there are lots of oppurtunities and prospects while others say its better to go for something like Mechanical/Electrical engineering.

I'm not sure what job I want in the future so I'd like to keep my options open. I'm not sure if even want to a career in engineering tbh, I might look into finance, but Aerospace seems interesting to study.

Also, what are some good unis targeted by Aerospace companies? Incase I go into clearing. Is QMUL a good uni for that?
I don't know much about engineering, but why do you prefer to do aerospace engineering as opposed to mechanical or general engineering course. Is it that you rather go into the aerospace industry? Because if not, then wouldn't a more general engineering degree open up more opportunities.

Also any engineering, maths or physical science degree from a good uni will get you into a finance grad scheme, as most employers are looking into the analytical and maths skills you gain (Plus finance is much easier to learn by your self than something like engineering or maths)
Blue Sweater
Rep:
?
Bump
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Aero jobs are going to be more niche and more competitive than mechanical, sure. Still hundreds of qualified people applying for all engineering graduate jobs. May as well flip a coin with your future.
Blue Sweater
Rep:
?
(Original post by swelshie)
Aero jobs are going to be more niche and more competitive than mechanical, sure. Still hundreds of qualified people applying for all engineering graduate jobs. May as well flip a coin with your future.
Why are aerospace jobs more competitive, just wondering. Also, can't I apply to mechanical engineering jobs with an Aerospace degree? Many aerospace degrees are also accredited by the institution of Mechanical engineers.

Also, does QMUL have good graduate prospects for Aerospace?

Thanks in advance.
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Blue Sweater)
Why are aerospace jobs more competitive, just wondering. Also, can't I apply to mechanical engineering jobs with an Aerospace degree? Many aerospace degrees are also accredited by the institution of Mechanical engineers.

Also, does QMUL have good graduate prospects for Aerospace?

Thanks in advance.
If your course is accredited, then an aerospace as opposed to general engineering degree should still keep options open. I can't think of anywhere that would actively turn you away based on a more specific field of engineering.

The aerospace industry is and always has been pretty competitive however there is going to be a big push to recruit younger people to replace the retiring workforce over the coming years, so I wouldn't rule out the career.

I know you say you're unsure if engineering is for you, but there are good apprenticeships out there too, where you'd be getting industry experience and a qualification (maybe degree?) out of it too. That'd help to keep your options open and potentially help you get your foot in the door. I'm biased though - I'm an engineering apprentice - but more than happy to discuss engineering further with you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (122)
13.97%
Excited (85)
9.74%
Worried (165)
18.9%
Terrified (199)
22.79%
Meh (63)
7.22%
Confused (25)
2.86%