Parent's Council Tax Watch

CatKidR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all!

I'm a full-time student living away from home during term time and only living with my parent during summer. My parent is entitled a discount on council tax if she's the only adult living in the property, so now we need to full in the form correctly.

However, I'm not sure whether I count as "disregarded" due to being a full-time student (which seems to specify that I must live with my parent during term time and be in uni 21 hours a week, neither of which I am), or if I shouldn't be included as an adult living in the property since I don't live with her during term time, but my mail and accounts are registered to her address.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I'm assuming I didn't make myself clear enough. There is an option on the form to declare any students who receive mail or have accounts registered to the parent's address, therefore if I put my term address there as it asks they know I'm a student. What's unclear on the form this year is whether I'm classed as an adult living with the parent even though I don't during term time and have a separate address.
Last edited by CatKidR; 1 week ago
SlS66
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you are in full time education then then the discount should still apply. Some councils don't interpret this rule competently and you will sometimes need help from agencies such as citizens advice to rectify the situation. Give them a ring, they offer advice over the phone and can confirm your parents entitlement.
CatKidR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SlS66)
If you are in full time education then then the discount should still apply. Some councils don't interpret this rule competently and you will sometimes need help from agencies such as citizens advice to rectify the situation. Give them a ring, they offer advice over the phone and can confirm your parents entitlement.
I know it applies, my issue is that the form has changed from previous years; I now don't know whether I declare myself a full-time student living in the property (despite the fact I don't during term) or whether I don't include myself as an adult living there.
SlS66
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to declare yourself as a student unless you applied to student finance as not living at the address. Give Citizens advice a call, they can give you accurate up to date info. In the event the council find out and you haven't declared, parent may have to repay an overpayment. Best to be upfront about these things, good luck.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I would assume you don't live there. Call up your council tax office and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.77%
Excited (145)
8.86%
Worried (296)
18.08%
Terrified (370)
22.6%
Meh (150)
9.16%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.68%
Impatient (207)
12.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise