Which university to choose? Lancaster? Strathclyde? Watch

magzab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I got accepted to a few universities in the UK and I’m seriously lost when it comes to choosing as there are so many factors. So far I have looked through various rankings and forums and narrowed it down to three unis.
I got accepted to Lancaster (International Law and International Relations) Strathclyde(International Relations, Law and Security) , Aberdeen( International Relations and International Law) Birkbeck (International Security and Global Governance) Bristol (European and Global Governance) Aston (International relations and Global Governance) and Coventry (Diplomacy, Law and Global Change).
Which one to choose? I’m thinking bout Lancaster or Strathclyde. I should add here that I will be looking at various internships and traineeships after graduating. Which uni and course gives me most options for a job and, before that, internships? Thank you 🙏🏼
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by magzab)
I got accepted to a few universities in the UK and I’m seriously lost when it comes to choosing as there are so many factors. So far I have looked through various rankings and forums and narrowed it down to three unis.
I got accepted to Lancaster (International Law and International Relations) Strathclyde(International Relations, Law and Security) , Aberdeen( International Relations and International Law) Birkbeck (International Security and Global Governance) Bristol (European and Global Governance) Aston (International relations and Global Governance) and Coventry (Diplomacy, Law and Global Change).
Which one to choose? I’m thinking bout Lancaster or Strathclyde. I should add here that I will be looking at various internships and traineeships after graduating. Which uni and course gives me most options for a job and, before that, internships? Thank you 🙏🏼
Lancaster and Bristol are probably the unis with the best reputation on your list. They both have good links with industry, as well.

What sort of thing are you looking for in a uni?
magzab
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Lancaster and Bristol are probably the unis with the best reputation on your list. They both have good links with industry, as well.

What sort of thing are you looking for in a uni?
Ok, thank you Just as you’ve mentioned; the links with industry as well as being recognised as a desirable university to have a degree from. My aim is to work as a diplomat, however, I am aware that it might be hard. That is why, I was also thinking about which university and course will give me some alternatives as well. I know Bristol is a really good uni, but I find the course a bit limiting. Lancaster gives me more options, I think. When it comes to Strathclyde, I have read some really good opinions about it and it is also quite high in rankings regarding international relations and social sciences.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Ok, thank you Just as you’ve mentioned; the links with industry as well as being recognised as a desirable university to have a degree from. My aim is to work as a diplomat, however, I am aware that it might be hard. That is why, I was also thinking about which university and course will give me some alternatives as well. I know Bristol is a really good uni, but I find the course a bit limiting. Lancaster gives me more options, I think. When it comes to Strathclyde, I have read some really good opinions about it and it is also quite high in rankings regarding international relations and social sciences.
Lancaster is a well regarded uni, so it's definitely a good option.

If you like Strathclyde then that's great- but I'd say most people in the UK wouldn't consider it on par with Bristol/Lancaster.
brackets_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I haven't researched your subjects or visited any of those except Lancaster so I can't help you there. However, if accommodation is important to you, Lancaster has the best I saw in all 14 unis I visited and is widely praised for it.

If you are torn it's definitely worth going to open days, or if that isn't economical for you, see if they do online virtual ones. Some highly ranked universities/courses really didn't suit me, and some with poor rankings turned out to be pretty good.
magzab
Rep:
?
Lancaster is a well regarded uni, so it's definitely a good option.

If you like Strathclyde then that's great- but I'd say most people in the UK wouldn't consider it on par with Bristol/Lancaster.
I actually like Lancaster, however, I was thinking about Strathclyde just because of the course content as well as the size of the town/city. Surely it’ll be easier to get a part-time job in Glasgow. The most important factor for me, however, is how good the university really is. Also, I was surprised to compare some rankings and acceptance rate in Strathclyde, Lancaster and Aberdeen. Strathclyde seems to reject most applicants which is surprising to me as Lancaster is ranked way higher than Aberdeen or Strathclyde.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I actually like Lancaster, however, I was thinking about Strathclyde just because of the course content as well as the size of the town/city. Surely it’ll be easier to get a part-time job in Glasgow. The most important factor for me, however, is how good the university really is. Also, I was surprised to compare some rankings and acceptance rate in Strathclyde, Lancaster and Aberdeen. Strathclyde seems to reject most applicants which is surprising to me as Lancaster is ranked way higher than Aberdeen or Strathclyde.
Strathclyde is a smaller uni, so have less capacity to accept people. I wouldn't let that factor into your decision.

There are lots of part time jobs available in Lancaster or on the uni campus as well.

But if you like Strathclyde then go for it!
aleml
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Acceptance rate isn’t necessarily a good measure of how good a course is. Strathclyde is just a very popular uni because it’s in Scotland’s biggest city making it harder to get into. All are good universities. I would assume all are in fairly equal level in terms of the reputation of their international relations courses. I am aware Strathclyde is very strong in politics and IR research but Bristol’s social science dept as a whole is probably stronger. If you’re an EU student then Scottish universities might be a better option as you are able to obtain free tuition and Aberdeen is good for politics too. Both Strathclyde and aberdeen have a good reputation internationally, particularly in the EU because of how hard they are to get into for free tuition. I’d definitely recommend looking at the course content and structure. I’ve heard Aberdeen as a city isn’t the best, Lancaster is a bit small so consider what lifestyle you want while studying. Bristol and Strathclyde would be quite similar in this regard.
magzab
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Strathclyde is a smaller uni, so have less capacity to accept people. I wouldn't let that factor into your decision.

There are lots of part time jobs available in Lancaster or on the uni campus as well.

But if you like Strathclyde then go for it!
Thank you so much! I actually like Lancaster the most and I think it will be the best option to go for 😃 Thank you
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you so much! I actually like Lancaster the most and I think it will be the best option to go for 😃 Thank you
Awesome I know some ex-Lancaster students who've had a great time there, so good luck!
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi,

Congratulations on holding so many offers. It sounds like you have your heart set on Lancaster, but if you're still struggling to decide i'm here to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for considering us.

Josh
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi,
We're delighted you're considering Lancaster.
In terms of part-time work, we have an employment and recruitment service to help you find work on campus or in the city, and our careers service will help you with securing internships and placements.
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Louise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (74)
17.58%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (268)
63.66%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.99%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.78%

Watched Threads