The Student Room Group

Should I drop Further Maths?

I’m about to start Year 13 in a few weeks and I was wondering if I should keep further maths. I’m doing a levels in Maths Chemistry Physics and Further Maths atm and think I wanna apply to Cambridge for Natsci. The thing is, my predicted grades are A*ABB , with the 2 B in Maths and Further Maths. You need A*A*A for Natsci and I might only be able to have that if I drop Further Maths. I know everyone says keep it your applying to Cambridge, but I need to meet the entry requirements first. Idk what I should do??
You only need 3 Alevels in order to study natural sciences at Cambridge so if dropping further maths will higher your predicted grades (and potentially your end of year grades at the end of year 13) then I would definitely advise you drop further maths.
What other universities are you thinking of applying to? If they don't require further maths then maybe its best to just do 3 subjects. It will probably free up more of your time and hopefully you'll get better grades at the end of year 13.
Good luck!!
Original post by alicaneygi123
I’m about to start Year 13 in a few weeks and I was wondering if I should keep further maths. I’m doing a levels in Maths Chemistry Physics and Further Maths atm and think I wanna apply to Cambridge for Natsci. The thing is, my predicted grades are A*ABB , with the 2 B in Maths and Further Maths. You need A*A*A for Natsci and I might only be able to have that if I drop Further Maths. I know everyone says keep it your applying to Cambridge, but I need to meet the entry requirements first. Idk what I should do??

This seems to suggest you'll be fine if you drop it:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

You can always talk to Cambridge admissions themselves before making a final decision.
Original post by bethany2.0
You only need 3 Alevels in order to study natural sciences at Cambridge so if dropping further maths will higher your predicted grades (and potentially your end of year grades at the end of year 13) then I would definitely advise you drop further maths.
What other universities are you thinking of applying to? If they don't require further maths then maybe its best to just do 3 subjects. It will probably free up more of your time and hopefully you'll get better grades at the end of year 13.
Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice. I’m also planning to apply to imperial UCL and maybe Loughborough or Bath. Further Maths isn’t a requirement, but it’s just everyone who seems to do a science subject at uni does further maths and it devalues just maths imo, but then again, I might be naive as I can just see the students in my school.

Frees would 100% be a benefit. I go to a sixth from 8:25-4pm and i went through year 12 with no frees, I really want frees tbh.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
This seems to suggest you'll be fine if you drop it:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

You can always talk to Cambridge admissions themselves before making a final decision.

How would I content Cambridge admissions?
How would I content Cambridge admissions?

You can find email addresses on their website, or they often post threads on TSR in the University of Cambridge sub-forum.

It might be best to wait until results week is over before emailing the uni.
Thanks for the advice. I’m also planning to apply to imperial UCL and maybe Loughborough or Bath. Further Maths isn’t a requirement, but it’s just everyone who seems to do a science subject at uni does further maths and it devalues just maths imo, but then again, I might be naive as I can just see the students in my school.

Frees would 100% be a benefit. I go to a sixth from 8:25-4pm and i went through year 12 with no frees, I really want frees tbh.

Yeah, then I would definitely say that you should consider dropping further maths because its not necessary and don't keep the subject just because your peers are.
Reply 7
Hi.

Does anyone know how to get the ''Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Combined Science,, BOOK *Answers

Me: Please i really needed for Year 11 September...x👏
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You can find email addresses on their website, or they often post threads on TSR in the University of Cambridge sub-forum.

It might be best to wait until results week is over before emailing the uni.

Yh good point. Thank you.
Original post by Hibo.xo
Hi.

Does anyone know how to get the ''Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Combined Science,, BOOK *Answers

Me: Please i really needed for Year 11 September...x👏

Firstly I don’t know how to get the answers and secondly this isn’t the right thread to ask the question. Sorry :frown:
Reply 10
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/natsci_phyical_subject_requirements.pdf
None of the colleges require further maths but as you can see from this some place more emphasis on maths than others, so I’d recommend applying to one that doesn’t mention an A* in maths if you are predicted an A. Good luck!
PS I’m probably applying to natsci too but biological
How my school works is that we do a level maths in first year and Fm in year 13. I’ve already finished all of a level maths and some of AS further maths. I know all of Maths spec a year early, which imo should mean that I should he predicted an A* as I have a year to consolidate my knowledge. Would my school agree idk. And good luck too. I hope we both get in. And are you basing your personal statement on biology or are you making it broad?
Reply 12
How my school works is that we do a level maths in first year and Fm in year 13. I’ve already finished all of a level maths and some of AS further maths. I know all of Maths spec a year early, which imo should mean that I should he predicted an A* as I have a year to consolidate my knowledge. Would my school agree idk. And good luck too. I hope we both get in. And are you basing your personal statement on biology or are you making it broad?

It’s 90% biology but some of that is biochemistry and I’ve mentioned the chemistry olympiad. I’m trying not to stress about it too much because I know it’s not that important for sciences but I can’t help it. What college are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by ta225
It’s 90% biology but some of that is biochemistry and I’ve mentioned the chemistry olympiad. I’m trying not to stress about it too much because I know it’s not that important for sciences but I can’t help it. What college are you thinking of applying to?

after researching all the colleges (there is a really useful forum on the student room about Cambridge colleges pros and cons) I want to apply to St Catharine's. But tbh I have just seen today they have extra requirements thanks to your link so :s-smilie:
Reply 14
after researching all the colleges (there is a really useful forum on the student room about Cambridge colleges pros and cons) I want to apply to St Catharine's. But tbh I have just seen today they have extra requirements thanks to your link so :s-smilie:

If you think you can get A* in maths then I wouldn’t let it put you off. I stayed there on the open day and it was lovely.

Quick Reply

Latest