Helena786
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. Has anyone received an unconditional offer for Pharmacy MPharm and that is without having your grades already so purely an unconditional offer made due to PS, application and predicted grades?

And if so, which uni did you get it from? Thanks!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I've moved your thread to our pharmacy sub-forum where you're more likely to receive useful responses.
Helena786
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hi

I've moved your thread to our pharmacy sub-forum where you're more likely to receive useful responses.
Ok thank you
randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I got an unconditional from Portsmouth uni. They seem quite fond of giving out unconditional offers; most people in my sixth form who applied to them have an unconditional.

I had to put it as my firm choice in order to be unconditional, so I did.
Helena786
Rep:
?
Congrats that’s great If you don’t mind me asking, what were your predicted grades?
Pharmacist23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there! got an unconditional from Reading Universiyt and Kingston University, However I did IB not A-levels
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aspiringdentistt)
Hey there! got an unconditional from Reading Universiyt and Kingston University, However I did IB not A-levels
Well done! We hope to see you at Reading in the future
Alice
Final year student ambassador
Helena786
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aspiringdentistt)
Thats great! Had you already done IB before applying?
Pharmacist23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Helena786)
Thats great! Had you already done IB before applying?
No, I applied with predicted grades, took the exams last may, got results july
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Helena786)
Congrats that’s great If you don’t mind me asking, what were your predicted grades?
I was predicted ABB. My actual results were BCC lol but I'm still in going to uni in September so yay
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
I was predicted ABB. My actual results were BCC lol but I'm still in going to uni in September so yay
Well done.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marinade)
Well done.
adiooyo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a qualified pharmacist I would highly advise against it. Too saturated in terms of people studying the course and not many jobs at the end of it post pre reg. see older posts/ sticky threads. With pharmacies closing left right and centre up and down the country, profits slashed due to funding cuts- meaning more pharmacies are struggling to meet costs, multiples blatantly wanting to automate dispensing and thus close stores jobs will be limited in the community sectors.Sure a lecturer will tell u there are other avenues hospital PhD etc. It's their job to convince you so they stay in a job.Do you know how competitive a hospital pre reg Place is? Approx 70 application to one post.Fail to get a first bye bye bye PhD.If you are a straight A student for the love of god you are too good for this garbage profession consider dent or med. optom as a back up. Please for the sake of your own sanity do not end up like me!Lastly every single pre reg or summer student on placement I've come across are literally petrified for their future. They only realise 2-3 years in. Don't make this mistake.
avleenarora
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Hi, I got an unconditional from Portsmouth uni. They seem quite fond of giving out unconditional offers; most people in my sixth form who applied to them have an unconditional.

I had to put it as my firm choice in order to be unconditional, so I did.
what sort of things did you write in your personal statement to get an unconditional?
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by avleenarora)
what sort of things did you write in your personal statement to get an unconditional?
Well I did have a part-time job in a community Pharmacy at the time of writing my personal statement, so that helped a lot. I actually don't seem to have a copy of my finalised version, but in some draft I found it seems I talked about:

Why the role of a pharmacist suits me
The change of the profession and the multiple paths one can take (basically regurgitating the claims lecturers tell you about all the awesome new opportunities in GP surgeries and hospital
What I learnt during my part-time job
Extra curricular/filler fluff/why I'm so cool for volunteering or for being a prefect or for doing ballroom dancing for x years makes me "well-rounded".

Throughout though, I made it very clear that I was "intrigued" by things related to the profession, and I made sure they knew that I was such a good team player because I did some volunteering. You kind of just need to take something you have done, and see how many lovely buzz words you can extract or conjure from such an experience.

I don't know if this is actually bad, but I personally would avoid the whole "I love helping people sksksksk X_X" because it just sounds super basic and lame if you don't have strong evidence backing it up.

If you are having issues with your personal statement, you can always message me or something and I may be able to give some tips
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh also, if you will do an admissions test, making sure you can do stuff like multiplying and dividing, and converting units without a calculator is really important.

I found the maths part quit hard, and I only got a grade 5 at GCSE, so I think it was my interviews that did it for me.
adiooyo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marinade)
Well done.
"A-levels are a poor predictor of success at university. 69% of those with less than DDD at A-level go on to get 2.1s or 1st"
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adiooyo)
"A-levels are a poor predictor of success at university. 69% of those with less than DDD at A-level go on to get 2.1s or 1st"
Aye, 2:1s or firsts at crap unis. Which are glorified further ed colleges that we for some reason allow to set their own assessments and mark them.
adiooyo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For sure a 2.1 or 1st at oxbridge is worth more than from UWE.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adiooyo)
It's pretty normal on or around results day to congratulate someone whose posts you have read.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (70)
67.31%
I don't have everything I need (34)
32.69%

Watched Threads