Is d of e a waste of money? Watch

Lilysmithxoxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
My school charges somewhere over £200 to do d of e. To some people that’s not a lot but to others it may be. It seems unfair that if u don’t have the money u can’t get the achievement when in reality all you’re paying for is the examiners when you’re actually doing everything yourself. Is it actually worth paying for?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Is this for the expedition?
You're paying for the transport to wherever you are doing the walk, any accomodation for the first night or costs to rent out a campsite, then there are the costs for any equipment you are borrowing plus the assessor. It's not cheap

Wether or not it is worth it will vary from person to person- what do you hope to gain from it, answer this and I could tell you if it may be worth it for you (or advise)
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
My school charges somewhere over £200 to do d of e. To some people that’s not a lot but to others it may be. It seems unfair that if u don’t have the money u can’t get the achievement when in reality all you’re paying for is the examiners when you’re actually doing everything yourself. Is it actually worth paying for?
It depends. If you're going to get something out of it, whether it be the team working skills, independence etc, then that can be worth it.

I know it's a lot of money and it wouldn't have been possible for me if I'd have wanted to do it at school/college, but I know a number of my peers fundraised as part of the whole experience in order to raise the funds to go
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Lilysmithxoxo)
I did mine through Rangers (guiding) and don't remember paying a fee! Maybe have a look at your local guiding centre?
mez_merising
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yes, don’t bother. Everyone does it nowadays so it’s nothing unique or will help you stand out.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I've never done DoE. I never even heard of it before going to the UK... I'd say unless it's really going to make your resume shiny, don't bother with it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise