Having second thoughts about degree choice Watch

Anisa784
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was dwelling on what degree I should do for the longest time, i'm the most undecided person you can imagine, I put the decision to bed during my exams after applying to do accounting and finance and told myself I will revisit my options in the summer after exams but now i'm so confused there were so many degree options that I didnt look into that i'm interested in. I just feel like I cant justify the cost of uni if im not 100% sure of what want to do. I was looking into degree apprenticeships but its not looking very promising now. I feel like the accounting and finance sector is overloaded and there wont be a chance of me getting and job and doing well after I graduate. Tomorrow is results day and im so confused!
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anisa784)
I was dwelling on what degree I should do for the longest time, i'm the most undecided person you can imagine, I put the decision to bed during my exams after applying to do accounting and finance and told myself I will revisit my options in the summer after exams but now i'm so confused there were so many degree options that I didnt look into that i'm interested in. I just feel like I cant justify the cost of uni if im not 100% sure of what want to do. I was looking into degree apprenticeships but its not looking very promising now. I feel like the accounting and finance sector is overloaded and there wont be a chance of me getting and job and doing well after I graduate. Tomorrow is results day and im so confused!
See how you've done and go from there. There's not much you can do tonight anyway. Is a gap year an option so you can take some time to think about it? If you decide you'd like to wait, you can try asking your university (if you get in) to defer your place for next year so it'll still be there for you if you decide you want to do it.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you go into accounting, you'll get a job- it's honestly not a super overloaded sector!

However, if you're unsure about what you want to do, it makes sense to maybe put off going to uni. What about taking a gap year to explore your options and research some of the other course choices out there?
Anisa784
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If you go into accounting, you'll get a job- it's honestly not a super overloaded sector!

However, if you're unsure about what you want to do, it makes sense to maybe put off going to uni. What about taking a gap year to explore your options and research some of the other course choices out there?
But a gap year is really short anyway seeing as you need to apply by september/january, its not a full year meaning i will have to quickly make a decision
Anisa784
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
See how you've done and go from there. There's not much you can do tonight anyway. Is a gap year an option so you can take some time to think about it? If you decide you'd like to wait, you can try asking your university (if you get in) to defer your place for next year so it'll still be there for you if you decide you want to do it.
my other options were psychology to go into genetic counselling, or international development but im not sure if theres a lot of jobs in that sector
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my other options were psychology to go into genetic counselling, or international development but im not sure if theres a lot of jobs in that sector
They are all quite different fields. All super interesting and all will have their opportunities for you! You need to take some time to think about what it is you want, because these are all quite different and as I'm sure you know you don't get enough funding to keep changing your mind. How do you feel about a gap year?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some jobs (like being a 'psychologist' rather than a counsellor) need specific degrees, other jobs (like grad schemes) you can get into with just a grade, not a subject. If you aren't sure, it's expensive to try out, so it might be worth going to some open days etc. to make a more informed decision
EnglishStudent*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't stress too much, as has been mentioned a lot of careers don't need a specific degree, including management consultancy, law, government and finance and accounting. There's lots of science grads, for example, working in the city. Take a deep breath, see what your results are and then go from there. You could take a gap year if you want more time to research and decide, they're really not that bad! (I didn't expect to take one and in the end, because of a variety of reasons, ended up having 2!)
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But a gap year is really short anyway seeing as you need to apply by september/january, its not a full year meaning i will have to quickly make a decision
If you don't apply until December/January, that would still give you some time to think about what you want to do and maybe get some work experience in these sectors. If you then changed your mind later in the year after getting some work experience, then you could still make a more informed choice in clearing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%