The Student Room Group

How should I take Maths and Further Maths?

Which is the best approach? I am starting with the National Extension College in September and then onto university to study physics as a mature student (I'm 22 now).

Option A

Year 1: A Level Maths, AS Physics, AS Chemistry
Year 2: A Level Further Maths, A Level Physics, A Level Chemistry

Option B

Year 1: AS Maths, AS Further Maths, AS Physics, AS Chemistry
Year 2: A Level Maths, A Level Further Maths, A Level Physics, A Level Chemistry
Original post by jackthedoor
Which is the best approach? I am starting with the National Extension College in September and then onto university to study physics as a mature student (I'm 22 now).

Option A

Option B

Year 2: A Level Maths, A Level Further Maths, A Level Physics, A Level Chemistry

Personally if I was in that position, I'd go for Option A and get the full A-level Maths sorted in Year 1 :smile:
Great to hear that you will be joining us in September. I assume that by AS you mean the first half of your A level?

It is possible to do A levels in a year with us so Option 3:

Year one: A level Maths + A level Chemistry
Year two: A level Physics + A level Further Maths

It is entirely up to you but we have had students who take this option and get amazing grades after their two years. This way you only have two subjects at a time to concentrate on. Good luck with whatever you choose and we are online to talk to you further about your options.

Option A

Option B

Option A
I would recommend option A. Further maths is so much easier when you have already done maths.

Option A

Option B

Option A is closest to what a lot of schools do :smile:
Original post by National Extension College
Great to hear that you will be joining us in September. I assume that by AS you mean the first half of your A level?

It is possible to do A levels in a year with us so Option 3:

Year one: A level Maths + A level Chemistry
Year two: A level Physics + A level Further Maths

It is entirely up to you but we have had students who take this option and get amazing grades after their two years. This way you only have two subjects at a time to concentrate on. Good luck with whatever you choose and we are online to talk to you further about your options.

Universities prefer to see three done in one sitting though ...
Original post by Muttley79
Universities prefer to see three done in one sitting though ...

They’re not bothered if it’s maths and further maths though, it's an exception.
Original post by Dancer2001
They’re not bothered if it’s maths and further maths though, it's an exception.

Yes I know - I teach Maths but I was replying to the poster who suggested taking 2 in Year 12 and 2 in year 13.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes I know - I teach Maths but I was replying to the poster who suggested taking 2 in Year 12 and 2 in year 13.

I know someone with a Cambridge offer who is only taking 2 A levels this year though (they did maths last year). We were always told that having one ‘solid result’ instead of a predicted grade increased our chances of offers, and it seemed to work for the people I know. Maybe is depends on the subject and the uni?
(edited 3 years ago)
I know someone with a Cambridge offer who is only taking 2 A levels this year though (they did maths last year). We were always told that having one ‘solid result’ instead of a predicted grade increased our chances of offers, and it seemed to work for the people I know. Maybe is depends on the subject and the uni?

Have you read what I was responding to? This is a different scenario - I said option A in my first post and that completes Maths A level. Cambridge maths requires STEP so that is different anyway.
I would recommend option A. Further maths is so much easier when you have already done maths.

Agreed!

Option A

Option B

I'd say option A. At my school, we only have the option to do them all alongside each other (like option B) and I have found that a lot of required knowledge for further mechanics is stuff you learn in y13 pure and it has left me with jumbled knowledge of what is required for y12 pure as we have had to quickly learn difficult concepts that we are not yeat ready for.

Quick Reply