HelpMePls121
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I'm 21 years old and want to re-take/re learn a couple of my GCSE's to see if I have what it takes to progress onto A-levels then ultimately attending a university deservingly without have to cut corners to get a place etc.

I went to college where I studied business (picked it without really thinking of a career). I finished the course and went into doing some entry levels jobs where I DO NOT want to be working which realistically will be the case if I don't re do my education etc.

Year 2 Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma Business (Distinction/Distinction)
Year 1 Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma Business (Merit)

After going into the real world and realising these are the types of jobs I could potentially end up doing for the rest of my life (bar, waiting, warehouse, retail, cleaning etc.) I panicked and got so scared I know I am capable of more and need a second chance in doing so. I am uncertain of what profession I want to pursue but and confident with time I will understand more and depending on the grades I achieve.

The plan is to retake my mathematics and sciences GCSE then depending on my results and feeling I would love to go onto A-levels etc.

Here are my results for those subjects:
Pearson Edexcel GCSE Mathematics (C)
Pearson BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate Applied Science (Pass)

My goal is to achieve minimum B in Mathematics and Minimum B in Chemistry/Biology. I do not care how long it takes me to achieve these goals it is going to happen I refuse to work in those ****ty jobs.

I have a car and ideally would prefer classroom learning appose to online I live in West Sussex.

Any recommendations or advice on where I should start all help is really appreciate.
sopya10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hmm good option maybe to retake the gcses then i say do a btec level 3 extended diplmoa with an a level with it, you wont have as much stress if was to do three a levels.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you aren't going into STEMs, theres no point in redoing maths and science ,esp since you have the min grades needed to get into some mid ranking unis. If your doing STEMs the maths you need will be taught to you, and is mostly GCSE + level, rarely as hard as anything you learn at A-level ( A-level maths is horrible ) ..personally i wouldn't bother redoing maths. If i were you i would also just try and get into UNI, and skip A-levels if possible (too hard/structured and very unlienient/stupid with answers ( unlike UNI exams )and dont offer much help to uni; for the most part ).

why do you want to get better at maths and science ? if you wanna do a pure STEM degree ... get ready for a massive relentless workloads, with many nights of regret; if you dont wanna do a STEM degree, i wouldn't bother with redoing maths or science.. just apply straight to a uni.
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A levels are really difficult to get into and pass with all the coursework and exams. You should do a BTEC National or Extended Diploma which will probably include maths. There's no point redoing GCSE's. You already have level 3 qualifications so you could try clearing to get into uni, you may be able to get in by doing a foundation year first which is for people who didn't get the grades needed and possibly people who have level 3 qualifications that don't relate to the degree. I got onto a degree course which was completely different to what I studied at college so it is possible but I didn't do a foundation year, I got the grades and there was no foundation year available until now for that particular course.
HelpMePls121
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for the fast feedback I really do appreciate it.

The reasons why I feel like I want to re take Mathematics/Sciences is because I ultimately want to end up with a decent career (like anybody) and feel that the careers that could be of interest to me require high grades in those subjects.

Lawyer, Solicitor, Dentistry, Banking, Teacher, Chiropractitioner, Engineering etc.. and feel that to get into a decent university I will have to have a Much higher grade in mathematics and sciences. I am very uncertain fo what exact career I want to do but I feel like having higher grades in these three subjects Science, Mathematics and English all open up endless possibilities to me and that's my reason for choosing them to be honest.

I want to commit to university and a degree that is respected not just select something like Physical Educations/Business Management etc for the sake that there the realistic choices in my current situation not disrespecting people studying those degree but if I were to go to university I would want to study for something that IMO is worth doing that will be rewarding.
Last edited by HelpMePls121; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads